FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Default Islamorada This Weekend

I am a beginner, wanting to work on my progression this weekend. I have been practicing at the Meade Street launch in Hollywood Beach and everyone I have spoken to there has recommended heading down to Anne’s Beach in Islamorada to work on riding for the first time. If anyone was planning on heading down there from Broward this weekend and would be interested in going together, drop me a line. I can do the driving. Even if you are just heading down and I might be able to meet up with you there let me know. I do not know many people in the sport and would greatly appreciate having someone who could let me know the rules to follow on that beach and where best to practice.

Thanks!

Josh – 321-749-1373
Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Can't help you on the ride part, but what you need to do when you get down there is stop in at the Otherside (mm 83 or so) and they will be able to point you in the right direction. Their phone is 305-853-9728 if you can't find it. Enjoy!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:50 AM

Be carefull on Ann's Beach. Its a small beach and used by both kiters and tourists. Lots of kids can be around as well.

Also, predominant wind direction pushes you downwind into a high current channel and bridge. If you drop, cant relaunch or cant stay upwind in general, you can/will get washed under the bridge.

Not a great beginners spot on your own IMO.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleshooter View Post
Be carefull on Ann's Beach. Its a small beach and used by both kiters and tourists. Lots of kids can be around as well.

Also, predominant wind direction pushes you downwind into a high current channel and bridge. If you drop, cant relaunch or cant stay upwind in general, you can/will get washed under the bridge.

Not a great beginners spot on your own IMO.
Same could be said for Whale Harbor and a few other spots here in the keys. Anne's Beach is the #1 beginners spot in the upper keys. Follow a few rules and you won't put yourself in that situation. There is a bridge downwind. Don"t go further downwind then the south parking lot. No one under the bridge this year that I recall.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Good to see you in Islamorada last night Noel. Good point about avoiding the bridges. The Keys have had some great conditions for several days in the customary calm time at the start of the summer.

A kiter was pulled underwater by his kite when the tidal current carried it beneath a bridge some years back. The submerged lines passed under oysters on the piling and pulled the guy right under. He would have died down there drowned if a fisherman hadn't dove in with a knife and cut him free. This was the bridge directly north of Whale Harbor.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-06-2011 at 11:19 AM.