FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Finnian03

Default Sickest session at Cypress

I got off work at 6 and ran home to grab my gear this evening. There has been such little winds, that when I saw the trees blowing a bit, I was desperate to get even an hour session. Well I'm sure happy I decided to go out.

I went to Cypress beach, and was the only one there. Pumped up my fifteen, threw it up in the air and was able to get in a solid hour before the sun set. It was really light winds, probably wouldn't have been able to get away with it had it not been for my weight (150lb), but still worth it.

Just as the sun was setting, I decided it would be my last run. I headed out towards the Howard Franklin away from the beach, and just as I passed the jetty, I saw something surface about 6 feet downwind of me. At first I had no idea what it was since I didn't get a good look. My questions were answered when I saw a second surface right after. Manatees!

I'm guessing it was a mother and child because the first ended up being what looked to be like 10 feet while the smaller was about 5. I was wondering if they would still swim with me if I headed out to see. I ended up riding side by side with them until I was about 100 feet from the bridge before I turned around. My trip back wasn't as exciting, don't know where they went.

Coming from Long Island I've never experienced anything remotely close to this. No doubt this was the sickest session I've ever had.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:56 PM

That's awesome. Sometimes its not the newest trick that can make this sport what it is. It can be the simple things.

Saw some Tarpon last week starting to show up along the Gulf as well. For those of you that fish for these monsters, there here!!!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 PM

Definitely cool seeing things in the water. For me, that's at least half the fun of kiting and never gets old.

The one thing I don't want to see again for a long time though is a sting ray injury to my foot. Ouch. I have spent literally thousands of hours walking in salt water environments and never been stung... til today. I did marine research, primarily of sea grass beds and related shallow water areas, and logged at least 3,000 hours walking where rays are, is my guess. Today I got hit for the first time by a ray. The irony is I saw how many there were, shuffled and took precautions... and still got hit. So... not convinced about shuffling
They are THICK out there in some areas, so just beware.
I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance and I have to say, that was a very painful experience.

If hit, it's gonna hurt for hours. What helped me was soaking my foot in water as hot as I could bear and pain meds provided by Dr. Cornel. Ice made it worse. Vinegar is 'sposed to help. I actually just recommend the drugs. That definitely worked.
I am still surprised by how much it hurt and that I couldn't zone it out. Usually I can zone out pain. I hope no one else experiences that this summer.

Going tarpon fishing tomorrow Been a couple times in the last few weeks and the tarpon and the white bait are ridiculous in a few areas. Been seeing lots of fish off the beach as well. Mainly whiting, pompano and snook. The health of the area's waters have been getting better and better for years around here, and the improved fishing is just one reflection of this.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 05-30-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 PM

I can second that about a stingray sting.

I got hit last season for the first time as well. Damn that was some intense pain. Thought I was going to lose it. Was out at three rooker for the day so it was awhile till I could get home and begin to medicate it. Oh yeah, peeing on it doesn't do shit.

Heavy pain killer was the ticket. As soon as the drug kicked in, pain gone. Like instant relief. A good dose of vicadin can go along way with this kind of pain.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Finnian03

i agree, one of the coolest things about this sport is being able to see things like manatees haha

never seen a stingray yet, sounds intense tho...and real shitty haha
Old 05-31-2009, 11:34 AM

Default Missed Stingray...

Bob, that sucks you got stung by the sting ray....thanks for sharing, now I know what to look forward if it happens to me.

This past April I spent three weekends in a row kiting in Isla Morada and kept running into giant sting rays....it was cool to follow them just to see them closer....then one monster changed course, crossed me perpendicularly and I surfed right over it! It scared the hell out of me because I have heard how much it hurts...lucky for me, the animal panicked and scurried away.

These sting rays are about 4 feet wide and very dark in color....can you tell me if all of them sting? I understand that there are some that are benign and harmless (Sting Ray Beach - Cayman). I just don't know if we have the good ones in Florida or not.

Anyways, I agree that one of the better parts of kiting is not just where it takes me, but what I see in the water. Nothing (so far) beats the humpback whales spraying and jumping in the water I saw in Manta, Ecuador. That was surreal. It felt like I was kitesurfing in Sea World! If any of you get the chance to go to Ecuador, the wind blows in Manta 18k-30k every single day from June-December...excellent place to kite.

Paul Menta just teamed up with a friend of mine down there to open a Kite House Ecuador. Check it out in the Kite House website. It's far away, but well worth it. I'll be down there again this summer for sure.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
Oh yeah, peeing on it doesn't do shit.

Think this is a jellyfish thing, not a sting ray thing, unless of course you are just looking for excuses to get peed on
Old 05-31-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I understand that there are some that are benign and harmless (Sting Ray Beach - Cayman).
I went to Stingray City in Grand Cayman a few months back on a kiting trip. They will sting you, as a matter of fact the tour guide showed us the stinger and it was HUGE!! not something you would want to mess with, guess thats why they tell you to do the shuffle even at stngray city!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM

I got stung about 2 years ago at Lassing Park while teaching...TWICE on the same foot, about 30 minutes apart..how's that for probabilities?...and yes - it hurts like hell.

My student was a surgeon whose advice was to immediately soak in hot water (as hot as you can take without burning yourself) to denature the toxin...then allow wound to remain open to drain toxins and contaminants for a few days...DO NOT ALLOW TO SCAB OVER RIGHT AWAY.

Also, if the barb is broken off inside you must have this removed immediately otherwise serious infection will follow. Under any circumstances it's not a bad idea to see a doctor to make sure you do not have complications.

In my case, I followed the initial advice - I was able to get very hot water from my van cooktop...and this killed the pain almost instantly - and I kept soaking in refreshed hot water for the next hour.

What I did wrong: I kept going into the water for the next few weeks. 4 weeks later I was in the OBX and my foot was severely infected - the physician that I finally saw there was very concerned and wanted to put me in the hospital. It took a month of antibiotics to get it under control...not a good situation.

A few weeks ago, while in the OBX, another kiter got hit WHILE RIDING HIS BOARD (which I did not know could happen) when we were doing a downwinder. Apparently the stingray schools will swim near the surface and they will lash out if scared or threatened. Another friend in the OBX who is a commercial fisherman say that when a stingray is accidentally netted or hooked everything stops on the boat and the stingray is "handled" very cautiously...look what happened to Steve Irwin!

Certain rays are worse than others...the cow nose rays are a "pelagic" species (usually swimming around in small schools- and beautiful to watch as your ride over them) and the barbs are closer to their bodies and not as dangerous, but the devil rays are bad though and they lurk in the sandy bottom often difficult to see. The rays start showing up in numbers during April when the water warms up.

watch out...not a fun experience getting stung.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas

Last edited by robertovillate; 05-31-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 PM

Wink

Yeah, first time I see somebody feeling the pain after being stung and I definetely don't want to experience that. Thanks for all the advices!