FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Lessons From The Hard Side
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Kite Loop To Slam In ... On ICE

Some particularly high speeds and violent forces can be generated during kite loops, no surprise there. Many of us have been treated to a variety of pain and injury at times following impact on water with failed loop attempts. One particularly telling account on water from a couple of years ago appears here

An experienced kiter threw a kite loop on frozen Lake Maridalsvannet just to the north of Oslo in Norway yesterday. He reached a height of about 3 m but apparently landed badly. He may have suffered a broken pelvis and torn lung following impact with the ice. More about this (in Norwegian) HERE

I understand that this was picked up by a Norwegian newspaper. Has anyone seen the account?

I hope the rider heals fully and fast!

Have a care where you choose to throw kiteloops. They can really hurt on liquid water, slamming in at high speed on ice, even with helmet and pads? If you pull it off great, if not more than a little pain possibly extending to fractures, concussion, organ damage, possible paralysis ... you get the idea.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-22-2006, 04:40 AM

That sucks, Hope the rider gets well soon!

I can do kiteloops, and they are nuts! Be carefully attempting these! especielly in high winds! Hurts pretty bad when you fall. if you are going to attempt them, go out far enough to if you get dragged theres nothing downwind at all, and deep enough water. I ride with a helmet and an impact vest, it still hurts when you fall on these.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot05

I can do kiteloops, and they are nuts! Be carefully attempting these! especielly in high winds! Hurts pretty bad when you fall. if you are going to attempt them, go out far enough to if you get dragged theres nothing downwind at all, and deep enough water. I ride with a helmet and an impact vest, it still hurts when you fall on these.
Good advice! I have done quite a few kiteloops or even more violent & painful, "kiterloops" usually by accident however. Kiterloops consist of the kite staying more or less stationary while the kiter flies along an elliptical path at something near lightspeed to smash in, ouch! Some of those initiated by higher jumps 30 ft. plus have been quite painful even with impact vest and helmet. I credit the impact vest in sparing me broken ribs on a number of ocassions, still it HURTS!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-22-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot05

Good advice! I have done quite a few kiteloops or even more violent & painful, "kiterloops" usually by accident however. Kiterloops consist of the kite staying more or less stationary while the kiter flies along an elliptical path at something near lightspeed to smash in, ouch! Some of those initiated by higher jumps 30 ft. plus have been quite painful even with impact vest and helmet. I credit the impact vest in sparing me broken ribs on a number of ocassions, still it HURTS!
Ha yeah, thoes hurt too! I was out in like 30 knots a week ago on my 7 meter (i only weigh 130) and threw a kiteloop and the bar got ripped out of my hand and i fell from a good 10 feet up hard. Then about 20 minutes later i tryed another one and same thing happend, i don't know how i even got the balls to try them in that wind.

but when they are landed they are so fun and look SICK!

Thats me throwing a kiteloop after the tampabay kitemasters 20 mile downwinder race.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Great shot, thanks for posting it! That is drive, taking a licking and keep coming back for more. At least you have the gear to try to get you through a bit more intact. I am still having trouble imagining the force and violence of a busted high speed kiteloop landing against hard ice.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-22-2006, 05:57 PM

yeah thats pretty intense! I don't think i'd ever attempt one on ice, especielly after hearing this.