FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > STANDUP - Standup Paddleboarding, Beach-Boy Surfing, Standup Surfing or Hui O He'e Nalu
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default SUP & Shoulder Injury

New, old sport right, things may come out in time. Was just alerted by a torn rotator cuff experienced by Laura last week. It could have been weakened by preexisting injury or perhaps not. She was doing some rapid turns and really working on her speed which may have moved things in the wrong direction. Folks turning in waves or in races might be vulnerable to the like. I recall kayakers suffering shoulder dislocations by stretching too far out of the "box" hyperextending things beyond normal range of motion. In Laura's case she had little warning and didn't even know it happened or even why until the next morning, sneaky stuff.

Found an article that goes into SUP and shoulder issues, part of it is reproduced below.

2/20/2009 7:45:00 AM
your shoulders and stand up paddle surfing, here's the scoop!

If you’ve been stand up paddling long enough, I’m willing to bet that your shoulders have felt sore at least once or twice and maybe even kept you out of the water for a few days to recover. Whether it’s a past injury that nags you, the wrong size paddle, bad technique, or a combination of each, it eventually sends you to the medicine cabinet (or the liquor cabinet) for some pain relief after a long session. The next few articles are designed to equip you with knowledge about your shoulders to help you keep them healthy, injury free, and out on the water paddling!

The shoulder contains three bones and three separate joints. Many muscles act at the shoulder as movers and/or stabilizers. The muscles have several functions depending on the shoulder’s angle during movement. Of special importance is the rotator cuff, which is made up of four muscles and their tendons originating from the scapula. These tendons help hold the “ball in the socket”, are important stabilizers, and help rotate the shoulder (glenohumeral joint).

Injuries to the shoulder occur for many reasons including acute injuries from sudden trauma such as dislocation, separation or fracture. However, the most common injuries tend to be chronic that can develop from the following:'

1. Prolonged raised position of the shoulders. Holding any muscle in one position too long can cause strain.

2. Repetitive movements and overuse.

3. Doing too much too fast.

Continued at the following link, ** INCLUDING PHOTOS OF A WARMUP ROUTINE **

http://www.hoviesup.com/hovie-sup-bl...he-scoop!.aspx

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-22-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Also, apparently too long a paddle can mess up your shoulder. The following recommendation appears online. How does this sound?

What length paddle do I need?
Paddle length is important for technique, posture, and efficiency. If too long or short, it could cause joint and back injuries, and also not be efficient over long periods. The rule of thumb is to have a paddle "one shaka" (6-8 inches) over your height. Longer is not better and could even cause shoulder joint injury.

Your height plus 7 inches is the magic number.

From: http://www.c4waterman.com/stand-up-p...do-i-need.html

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

There's a whole thread on rotator cuff tears, rehab and conditioning at:

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/view...p?f=13&t=16086

Including this conditioning routine:
http://www.hesfit.com/men/comment/sh...d-the-scapula/

and another overview by a Doc that does Standup at:
http://www.paddleboard.com/ask_the_doc/view/79

What else have people experienced and figured out about avoiding shoulder injury and rehabing after?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-23-2009, 06:31 PM

In december i dislocated my shoulder and elbow. I am lucky to have a good friend that is a doctor for 3 professional sports teams. He had them relocate my shoulder a special way as not to break the bone in the cuff. Needless to say lots of pain. To the point, i used rubber bands and low impact stretching and paddleboarding to get me back. Started will slow eay paddle, small strokes and worked up to longer stronger strokes. Let the shoulder freeze up and not move is bad, getting it moving again, massage, circulation of blood. The shoulder has bad circulation, some of the worst, plasma injections help blood flow and keep you from getting operated on and movement. Sup brought me back strong and safe......pain yes, but core work out from balance and strength of all mussels is the key. I am no Doc, but i am the result of a good one.....and i aint getting any younger...lol

aloha
Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I remember you're saying you messed up your shoulder. Didn't know both your elbow and shoulder were injured. Glad you got past it, you're too active to have to deal with that sort of stuff for long.

Thanks for the tips on your progressive rehab, they make sense. Lots of people have mentioned the poor circulation in the area being a problem with rapid healing. Didn't know about the plasma injects, we'll look into those. She's coping pretty well, hope it sorts out quickly.

Thanks again for your input. How did you hurt those areas anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kite House View Post
In december i dislocated my shoulder and elbow. I am lucky to have a good friend that is a doctor for 3 professional sports teams. He had them relocate my shoulder a special way as not to break the bone in the cuff. Needless to say lots of pain. To the point, i used rubber bands and low impact stretching and paddleboarding to get me back. Started will slow eay paddle, small strokes and worked up to longer stronger strokes. Let the shoulder freeze up and not move is bad, getting it moving again, massage, circulation of blood. The shoulder has bad circulation, some of the worst, plasma injections help blood flow and keep you from getting operated on and movement. Sup brought me back strong and safe......pain yes, but core work out from balance and strength of all mussels is the key. I am no Doc, but i am the result of a good one.....and i aint getting any younger...lol

aloha

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi