FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Physical Pre-requisite for kiteboarding??

I am thinking of getting into kiteboarding and I was wondering if requires any special physical traites. I know you need to know how to swim, but how much upper body strength does it require ect.... just want to get a heads up so I know what to work out when I go to the gym

thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 10:05 AM

"The idea behind kiteboarding itself is very simple. A kitesurfer stands on a board with foot straps and uses the
power of a large controllable kite to propel him and the board across the water. This simplicity also makes such
boarding challenging. Your body is the only connection between the kite and the board and you have to control
them both at the same time: piloting the kite in the sky and steering the board on the water."

It would do a complete body workout. Theres barely any muscles that arent used. Legs, arms, chest, shoulders all come in to play at one point or another.

-chris
Old 08-02-2006, 10:09 AM

thanks for the reply, i also have a question on trainer kites. what all do I need to start out flying the trainer kite??
Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderokc
thanks for the reply, i also have a question on trainer kites. what all do I need to start out flying the trainer kite??
Trainer kite you won't need to do anything, they have very little pull, but if you fly them in some higher winds it will get tireing for your upper body.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Well, If you really want a trainer kite get a 5m "C" kite. It will be much more realistic and stable in the sky than a 2-3m foil (which are very popular among those whom just cant wait to get their hands on a kite).

Plus you get good at flying the 5m you could bodydrag, then if it got windy enough you could grab a big board and try to get up.

For now get a 5m "C" kite and a harness. Then look into a lesson.

-chris
Old 08-02-2006, 08:05 PM

thanks for all the replys!! do you know of a good place to get a used trainer kite??
Old 08-02-2006, 08:13 PM

oh and what do you mean by "c" kite??
Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelli
Quote:
Well, If you really want a trainer kite get a 5m "C" kite. It will be much more realistic and stable in the sky than a 2-3m foil (which are very popular among those whom just cant wait to get their hands on a kite).

Plus you get good at flying the 5m you could bodydrag, then if it got windy enough you could grab a big board and try to get up.

For now get a 5m "C" kite and a harness. Then look into a lesson.

-chris
not smart... go with a foil kite (trainer kite 3m)
Old 08-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Physical Pre-requisite for kiteboarding??

Kitesurfing will condition you over time all by itself. Still, early on while you are still learning it is easier to have things go wrong that may require sudden extra strength and/or endurance under load. If you pick milder conditions and go in short sessions as you get on your game this will help to reduce these factors. Stretching prior to sessions and after can go a long way to avoiding strains and injury. ChiroJoe has written a good guide to warmup stretching for kiting. It is available at kiteshops and at:

http://www.xsportshop.com/store/inde...d&productId=11

If you are looking for a conditioning workout for kiteboarding, I would think a combination of cardio and lighter weights with higher reps would be appropriate along with a thorough warmup and warm down. Focus on core strengthening activities, particularly the legs, abdominal area, and rowing related weight routines.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-03-2006, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Physical Pre-requisite for kiteboarding??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
Kitesurfing will condition you over time all by itself. Still, early on while you are still learning it is easier to have things go wrong that may require sudden extra strength and/or endurance under load. If you pick milder conditions and go in short sessions as you get on your game this will help to reduce these factors. Stretching prior to sessions and after can go a long way to avoiding strains and injury. ChiroJoe has written a good guide to warmup stretching for kiting. It is available at kiteshops and at:

http://www.xsportshop.com/store/inde...d&productId=11

If you are looking for a conditioning workout for kiteboarding, I would think a combination of cardio and lighter weights with higher reps would be appropriate along with a thorough warmup and warm down. Focus on core strengthening activities, particularly the legs, abdominal area, and rowing related weight routines.

My gym has a lap pool, should I start swimming laps also??