FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 AM

Thumbs down 30 minutes after sunset

Some of us were riding at Carl Grey Park on Monday afternoon. As we all know, we will fall back this weekend and daylight savings will end. We have kited at that spot countless times until it is pitch dark. For the first time ever, some FWC officer came to the park around 6:10pm and told the guys on the beach to get the remaining riders off the water. He said that there is a law stating that any unlit "vessel" must be off the water 30 minutes after sunset. Well, sunset on Monday was at 5:47. He said that if we didn't follow that rule, we would be given a $62 ticket!!!! He was insistent that sunset had been at 4:47, and that those of us on the water could have received a ticket. I guess this idiot had already fallen back an hour a week early. In any case, he didn't give me or Crackie a ticket, but we had had our warning. We have never seen this guy before. There have been countless police and wildlife officials who have stopped and watched us ride until dark without ever saying a word. He must be a newbie in the force or something. In any case, I don't know if anyone else has dealt with this issue or not, but be aware. I wonder if we were to use red and green glow sticks on our kites, if then we would be considered "lit."?? Oh well, so much for those late afternoon and full moon rides after this weekend!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Skyway Scott

Danny has lights made that might work. That'd be funny as hell if you all lit up your "vessels" and he couldn't say anything.

Danny made me lights (and some other guys too) with one red and one green that screw in on the board using the fin screw. We do a lot of night riding here. It's a genius design.
Put a white light on your helmet or head, and I bet you are good by Coast Guard regs.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Yeah, this guy sat and watched us for a good 15 minutes, then got out and started handing out ticket warnings. Like I said, we wouldn't want to ride at Carl Grey at night, as it is a very sketchy launch with a parking lot, power lines, and the highway. A kite went across the highway last year and was torn in 3 pieces by two cars. Luckily no one was hurt. I know the guys kite in Fort Walton at night by the full moon and city lights. Scott, did your buddy make those lights because of that law?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Skyway Scott

No. Danny made the lights cuz they look bad ass and many of us night ride a lot from Sept to about now and then again in the spring/early summer with the East winds as the land cools off. They are cheaper than glow sticks in the long run.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRyder View Post
Some of us were riding at Carl Grey Park on Monday afternoon. As we all know, we will fall back this weekend and daylight savings will end. Well, sunset on Monday was at 5:47. He said that if we didn't follow that rule, we would be given a $62 ticket!!!! He was insistent that sunset had been at 4:47, and that those of us on the water could have received a ticket. I guess this idiot had already fallen back an hour a week early.
There is a logical explanation for his thinking it was an hour early.

Daylight savings is always the last Sunday in October, but this year they switched to the first Sunday in November.

No big deal, but anything electronic that adjusts for daylight savings will have changed on the old plan, not the new one. Even atomic clocks that receive a signal were changing.

Many people made the same error on Sunday and Monday.

That said, being a cop giving out warnings, it is pretty idiotic he didn't know what time it was
Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 PM

Default lawbreakers

Linda
Breaking the law again with Crack head heh? Who was this guy....? Put some glow sticks in the trailing edge struts with zip ties? should look cool
the Keys are cranking down here.....blue sky and steady winds......come on down.