FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Skyway Scott

That video is simply unreal. I hope the rider survives.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Canuck

Very unfortunate. I'm praying for the guy for full recovery.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes Frank, that was another bad one, that time on the west coast. We really need to physically and mentally rehearse Emergency Depowering on a regular basis. In reality in emergencies all too few riders even try to Emergency Depower. They just lock up or even less often fail at the attempt to depower for whatever reason and go for the full ride. The first order is to avoid squalls and if despite all precautions you get caught out, Emergency Depower early. More about that other accident at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6940

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchxpress View Post
This brings me back to another post, I believe it was yours, Rick.

LET GO OF THE BAR. Yes, ladies and gents, his hands never left the bar.

I just hope he survives to kite another day.:shock:

The video clip of the tragic accident today in Ft. Lauderdale appears:

HERE
and another shorter clip HERE

IF YOU KNOW ANYONE thinking of going out in this storm or any others for that matter,
make sure they see this video and think about what could go wrong. They should also
read over the Brazilian fatality in another storm three days ago at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7025
More guys could easily get chewed up in Fay or any of the numerous other squalls that
sweep through every year. Seek clear conditions free of squalls, always.

Again, best wishes to the man that was injured in Ft. Lauderdale today.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-19-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM

I am going to go out on a limb here. I always voice what I feel on this forum.

A look at the weather on the film, a look at the radars, the obvious fact that a big storm system is close by, why in the hell would anyone kite in this stuff.

When someone gets stupidly drunk, gets in a car, and crashes themself into a building, I really don't have any sympathy for them.

I am going to go on record and say, I really don't have any sympathy for this guy. He got what he deserved. Completely avoidable. I feel bad if he has a family or children. Completely selfish and irresponsible. He makes the sport look bad for all of us. Add to the fact that he was hanging on to the bar the whole time equals super kook for me.

Folks have called me all day and asked where I was going to ride tomorrow. My answer was not only no, but "hell no".

I'm not surprised however by the incident.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here. I always voice what I feel on this forum.

A look at the weather on the film, a look at the radars, the obvious fact that a big storm system is close by, why in the hell would anyone kite in this stuff.

When someone gets stupidly drunk, gets in a car, and crashes themself into a building, I really don't have any sympathy for them.

I am going to go on record and say, I really don't have any sympathy for this guy. He got what he deserved. Completely avoidable. I feel bad if he has a family or children. Completely selfish and irresponsible. He makes the sport look bad for all of us. Add to the fact that he was hanging on to the bar the whole time equals super kook for me.

Folks have called me all day and asked where I was going to ride tomorrow. My answer was not only no, but "hell no".

I'm not surprised however by the incident.
I know what your saying, its okay not to have sympathy but in no way does that constitute in saying he got what he deserved, that would be like saying a family of four that was killed by a drunk driver got what they deserved because they were driving on the highway. The young man's name is Kevin, I have kited with him a couple times in Ft Lauderdale, with no huge complaints on his riding or actions. Its just unfortunate to the sport to see a accident like this that could have been avoided. My best wishes go to him and his family.

[img]
Old 08-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Default hello tampa/st pete riders

i agree with steveo. lets learn from our brothers on the east coast today. tropical winds are unique very gusty and powerful....i wont be a hypacrite and say dont go and then go out myself. i will say steveo"s hell no policy is most likely correct for all of us. however, if people choose to go, know where your releases are, watch for the squall lines and get off the water well before they come near. try to use excellent judgement and why not in light of what happend on the east coast...error on the safe side of decision making!!!!! also choose your kiting location with great care and thought....and if ANY doubt of ANY kind just dont go!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 PM

Sorry, I disagree completely. A family that gets whacked doesn't have a choice. Kevin did have a choice. That video is all over the news, all over Florida, and I wouldn't be surprised if all over the country by tomorrow. Completely avoidable.

I do sympathize for his family very much!!!!

People that ride motorcross put themselves in danger everytime they ride. It is a given that you are going to get hurt riding motorcycles. The public accepts it, and for that reason, alot of people stay away from it. A few weeks ago we have images of Damien showing the beauty of the sport on S. Beach to the world. Today, we have a complete nightmare that IMO didn't have to happen. Rick has been putting up the warnings.

Bottom line, our sport took a hit today.

Was anyone surprised that an event like this was going to happen?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Skyway Scott

I hear you Steve. For the most part I feel the same in terms of it being avoidable. I too can't relate to kiting in rain and squalls with predicted gusts to 60 plus literally around the corner.
Not sure anyone deserves that, but it's unfortunate some of the choices some people make.
With the driving analogies - what happened today is no where near the same as getting hit by a drunk driver. Not sure how anyone could say that.
Victims of drunk drivers are just that, innocent victims.

Today's weather didn't run a red light and T-bone this rider with zero warning. It was obviously coming, honking it's horn the whole way. Steps could have been taken to not be attached to a kite today with a TS bearing down on us.

I hope he gets well and soon. One mistake shouldn't be paid for with a heavy price.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Some more information was posted on kiteforum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastree
I was there today... still shaken up from the incident. I hope "K" will be OK. He is still in the hospital and we are waiting for an update on his condition.

Before the squall line moved in, there was one other kiter out with him and they were attempting to get back on the beach and land their kites. The other guy (no names mentioned) kept his kite low until someone was able to land it. "K's" kite was higher and as a result he was lofted. There were several of us standing there watching the whole thing unfold. Wishing that we could have reached him before he lifted off the second time. But It happened so fast! I will now be practicing with my eject knob on a regular basis. Ejecting the kite (or engaging the safety) needs to second nature and able to be done with your eyes closed. I still can't believe how quickly it happened. Reaction time needs to be immediate!

Good luck "K", we are all pulling for your speedy recovery.
If it is the other kite, you can see it clearly to the south of the lofted kiter, Kevin. It is near the ground and bouncing slightly despite the strong gusts. I suspect it was near fully depowered if a flat kite or high depower C kite. I don't know what sort of kite Kevin was flying, perhaps a C kite leaving Emergency Depowering as about the only option, dropping his bar to the leash.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 PM

wow that video is insane.. I think its a bit harsh to say that he was getting what he deserved. although every kiter should know there limit and make better judgement calls than that. hope hes ok.
-sean b