FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-07-2006, 08:01 AM

actually more than anything i just want to set the 11 next to my 12 to do a side by side comparison..

danny has the 13 .. should we line up an 11,12,13,14 and see if they are all in fact the exact same kites??? hehhe

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Skyway Scott

That'd be funny if it were true.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:40 AM
tomstock

Hmm well something smells fishy...

Are you saying the 9m waroo is no fun in 20-25?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 AM

simple, the 16/9 would work fine, but not if you want to be riding unhooked and throwing loops, especially since you are used to having so many C kites...
the 16 will work up to about 20 comfortably, and ive rode the 9m in 17 (on a glide)...
but if its blowing about 16-20, both will work but niether will be that good for working on unhooked moves/loops, the 12 would be perfect at that speed

you wont be happy with a 16/9 combo given your past quiver
Old 12-07-2006, 09:15 AM

not saying that at all tom.. just that each kite def. has its range that it performs the best in.

i know you have many hours logged as a rider and will be able to hold down more on a 16 than the average rider.. and will be able to get more out of a 9 than others.. but i am talking about complete coverage w/ the best range for each kite.

there is a much larger range for hybrid kites compared to a C, that is a fact.. i just think that a 9 / 16 combo would be perfectly completed with a kite in the middle to cover that mid-range you might be over or under powered for depending on if you rigged your 9 or your 16.

example..
you get to the beach.. its blowing 18.. it MIGHT increase.. maybe.. maybe not..
do you rig your 9 or 16..
if it increases to 22 or so.. you will be really powerd (maybe overpowered) on your 16.. or really nicely powered on your 9..
if it decreases and you rigged your 9 you will be underpowered and prob have to come in to re-rig.
throw up a 12.. see what happens and you will cover that range + or - a few knots in either direction .. if it increases or decreases by a solid 5 knots in either way you will still be doing great on your 12 until you can come in and re-rig the next appropriate kite.

on days where its looking to increase or decrease i typically inflate 2 kites on the beach before i go out.. last few times ive been out ive had to step to a larger kite..
times before I had to quickly move to my 9m due to insane increases...

then again.. ive seen Ebone take his 9 out w/ his glide in super light conditions.. its all a matter of style and preference. i like to ride moderately powered.. i think Danny likes to ride a bit overpowered..

you are welcome to test drive any of my kites anytime

Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 AM
tomstock

Ok guys, gotcha.

BTW, insane cannon shot kiteloops on a C kite are still the bomb:

http://www.kitecinema.com/len10/Len1...Sjees-480p.mov

Ruben is crazy.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM

those recent Ruben videos are just over the top.

still.. i am just not as dazzled by handlepasses .. i know that they require tons of technical skill and i understand how amazed i *should* be.. but there is nothing in my mind more awesome than HUGE airs and massive kiteloops..

and, of course.. hello kittys

Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 AM

those massive, high loops look easier then the low powered loops with hard landings ive been trying, maybe i should start trying higher loops, that way the kite comes back around and gives me a little lift before i land, making it softer...

can any of our top notch riders respond to this, are they easier or harder to land?
thanx
Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
tomstock

I've done a couple of high ones off of waves and on a small kite you get whipped around hard and fast... spiraled horizontal and your board goes over your head. It's pretty intimidating, but I think you are right that if you do it high enough you will land softer as long as you get the kite back up to 12! I have also done them at the very top of a big jump... that is really not too bad if the kite turns tight enough. If it turns slow you are gonna get stuffed.

I have only been able to do a couple of them high enough to soften the landing... I tried them again a few weeks later and didn't get high enough. I got stuffed hard and broke two lines and had to swim in.

I thought I hurt my ankle and rib but turned out to be nothing... except poor judgement on my part.

I havent tried any real big ones since then... just small ones. I would like get some tips from Crazy Jay or Billy some time about this stuff. They throw some mad loops.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock
I have also done them at the very top of a big jump... that is really not too bad if the kite turns tight enough.
youll love the waroo for that reason alone, very fast tight turns