FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Skyway Scott

In Robert's defense - It's not obvious BB sucks on a south when rigging.
Side shore seems safe, and it's often not until the kite gets "up" that you realize how gusty it is and get screwed. I'm no dumby and I fell in the same trap out there several years ago.

In addition, at least one website that lists launches describes BB as working perfectly fine on a South. Not sure if Robert got info off that site, but that would have only solidified his confidence out there.

It is true that picking an appropriate launch site is an exceptionally important decision in having a good (safe) day kiting. A comprehensive and accurate listing of launches is currently being worked on by Steve and others. This list will benefit from inputs from all riders regarding the accuracy of the descriptions, supplying pics we could add, or the addition of more info and more descriptions of spots not on the list. It's a skeleton right now, but that will change in just a couple days.

We have a lot of (known) spots being ridden at the moment. So, many people are aware of the spots because they see people out there at times. But, it may not be obvious to a new rider which wind directions aren't so hot for each spot, or the possible drawbacks to each spot (possible currents, things in water, etc.)

Anyone with useful information on launches for the list, please share so events like yesterday don't get repeated.

http://www.tbka.org/html/page3.php

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 04-06-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Tom Stock

Yeah I agree if you are going to post launch site info, it needs to be correct. Here for example it says "Anything except with East" for big beach (and a bunch of other sites):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1dc4fcb4cd7db3

Lassing park is also wrong, you can't ride there on a due north or south...

PAG is wrong, a south is side off.

Treasure island is wrong, you can't ride there in a north, it's side off.

I could keep going but you get the point. I got this link from the sticky at the top of this forum btw.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 PM

Ah... I did this link a long time ago and I had asked for riders input since I didn't ride a lot of these areas. Please add more input if you wish. I'm open for any input so people can use this information to make wise choices.

-Chris
Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 PM

The TBKA (Tampa Bay Kiteboarders Association) site is under construction, but the forum is up and running so feel free to add info there. We will be using this for all association activities and updates.
Please use your real first name and last initial as your username when you sign up.
http://tbka.org/forum

Steve S

Last edited by kite-4-life; 04-06-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Tom Stock

Yeah, Chris I remember you saying you fixed a lot of those.. but looks like they didn't save or I got an old link.

Good effort though getting all of those sites listed in the first place... the rest is just the details.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 AM

Unhappy

I had a bad lofting experience at EB that day. It was late in the day and the wind seemed to have dropped a bit from that morning. The wind hadn't actually dropped but shifted more out of the SW as I latter learned the hard way. I made the mistake of launching by the water and kite by the cars. The kite launched and drifted back into the window a bit so I walked upwind to compensate the drift. The kite stabilized and I proceeded to take it up to 12. I found out that wind was being shadowed by the trees and once the kite got above the trees it took off straight to 12 and up I went, about 3 feet but was dragged at least 50 feet. Brian Woods quickly grabbed me with his tiger like instincts and saved me from being dragged into the parked cars feet first. (Thanks Brian sorry your new shirt got dirty)

I always tell people to launch the kite towards the water and I didn't take my own advice. I let my guard down thinking the wind dropped but in fact it had picked up and I was just in a shadow from the trees.

So from now on I will use my own advice in launch the kite towards water. I have a nice strawberry on the left side of my ass to remind me to preach what I teach. Sorry Toby and Eric, I will not post any pictures of my strawberry on my ass.

-Chris
Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Tom Stock

3ft, try 8-10 feet... you were over everyone's head! Saw it from the water and honestly I thought you were gonna get drilled. Also saw the incredible tackle.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Really.. It didn't seem that high. Yeah that was a good tackle on Brian's part. He's has some cat like reflexes.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 PM

Sorry Chris, Bryan told me about it. I saw his shirt too so I gave him a Corona and told him to use tide with bleach alternative!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:49 PM

My eventful experience was by the sandbar, when a friend's kite crashed in front of me and I yanked the bar the other way. I got tangled in a line and luckily broke through it when I got snatched forward about 30 feet. (Sorry, Chris B.) I did not get any cuts from the line because he had already released the kite. If he would have been trying to relaunch, I would have been in trouble, and most likely tangled in the kite itself. (Quick thinking and early reaction to the situation on Chris's part!)WHEEWW!
One thing I try to do on the water is point in my intended direction, either upwind, or down at the water to go downwind.