FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 AM

IKO and PASA (last time i checked) don't even test to make sure a prospective instructor is a proficient swimmer.<<<<WTF
same thing with all the newbs being taught by these "certified" instructors<<<WWWTTTFFF!!!
so you guys in the inner circle, ready to over-regulate the rest of us until there is ZERO stoke left, can blame yourselves as much as you blame anyone else....but hey...your phone is a ringin' better get that student on the water...you got bills to pay and after all you have so much invested...lets grow this sport!!! more comps more riders more demo's. grow baby grow.
BLAH BLAH YAWN
Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleshooter View Post
I dont know either of you but just googled out of curiousity. It kicked back that Level 1 can teach and certify but limited the number of students and kites to work with. It did say liability insurance was required. I cant confirm this since it was only a google search.

Anybody know where the official rule on this is posted. I searched IKO but got lost.

lol yes the IKO is an interesting website and your not on your own getting lost on there.

IKO Level one Instructor can certify students but only under the supervision of an IKO level 2 Instructor, this means that a legally operating business must employ a Level 2 Instructor at all times.

If any people want to get certified then go to a school that employs an experienced Level 2 Instructor.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here's news apparently, there's access been issues for many years in some of the more populated parts of the State. They started around 2000 or so. Little of this is new, what IS new is what looks like a viable solution thanks to what the folks are working on at Matheson. It is geared to make kiting sustainable in one area of an extremely populated metropolitan area with a large kiter population, tons of visiting kiters and very few shoreside launches. It may even lead to some reform in certification over time if we're lucky, wouldn't that be nice?

Complaining can be a start and it is fairly easy to do but it rarely provides a useful finish. Take it to the beaches and make it work, would be a lot easier for everyone in the long run. Otherwise, there is always something like this for those rare, more extreme cases. If we keep things responsible there is no reason for something like this to ever be needed, it's on us to do this. We had years of chances at self-policing here but didn't pull it off successfully.

Change is a mixed bag, lots of us don't like aspects of it and still expect things from change regardless. Those who don't agree show your commitment by ditching all your gear and going back to a two line Wipika kite, permanently.

Flash models your next kite?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-31-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM

I am really happy for ASM on this deal, however, I have mixed feelings with the new rules, and please understand I am a beginner and I am just expressing my opinion including other beginners I have talk to. It is great that things get organized and we don’t lose access to the park, it is even more great to have the peace of mind if I get drifted to the channel and if I can’t comeback somebody will be there to help me; for experienced riders I see no big issues, they can get certified at any time (and they should) which will protect them and everybody else; for newbie’s, no questions, they have to pay for professional training classes. Now, what about a guy like me? I have paid for 7 hours of professional training and one hour of supervision, I am to the point sometimes I can get to water start and ride a short distance (not always), to be honest I am not the faster learner when it come to kite boarding, but what are my choices? I spend money on training (money well spend), I bought my own gear (I choose to buy it from ASM) and how much money I have to keep spending so I can practice? I may be wrong, but I believe the only way I can get to be a better rider is, if I practice, practice and practice, but I can’t afford to pay for somebody to supervise me every time I want to do that for a couple of hours. I think is only fair after paying for professional training we should be able to have an area where we can practice without having to pay more money as long as we follow the rules and have good kite control, may be getting certify level 2 if such of thing is possible?.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Dear Gonzo,

You have very good points. When drafting the guidelines we wanted to be very careful to insure that riders would have a place to work on their skills. I understand your frustration regarding the additional costs. On the other hand, we do have to pay the individuals that will actually be on the water supervising beginners riding. We will have a very reasonable rate to avoid having people like you looking for a new location to ride. Our goal is to have a safe place for you to practice so that you don't try to do it at Miami Beach, Hobie, or other areas that could cause larger problems.

In short, this is a work in progress and we are very sympathetic to new riders needs. Let's get you up and feeling comfortable so that you quickly bring your knowledge and skills up to being an independent rider. After 7 hrs. of instruction and a few more hours of supervised instruction I’d guess that you would be getting pretty close.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Matheson and really Miami have had a lot of issues for a long time. As a result, opportunities for new kiters to practice without worry of problems have diminished over time. Out of SE Florida or down in the Keys this can be far less of an issue. More people + more kiters over long period of time = more access issues.

Kent and ASM are still developing the concept but if things go as they would like there should be new kiter provisions not only at Matheson but also out on the Flats. Before now, just enter the fray and hope you don't run into someone, witness access being lost by a bad accident or travel out of the area. Hopefully in the future there will be some new good and affordable options here for folks in your position Gonzo.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Great for ASM, they have been the most pro-active in keeping the site , so they deserve it.
Great mostly for the overal safety and the long run of Matheson as one of the major kite spot in MIami.
we can;t loose this venue, that is sure.

Finally it's even greater for futur students in Matheson, bc as long as quality of instruction is maintained and done professionnally , with integrity AND commitment, the sport will grow safer and longer.
The newbies we train today are the kiters we ride with tomorrow... better make sure we are all on the same page on Safety, rules, Right of way and proper skills.
Thats is not too much asking to a certified instructor who is trained for it.
whereas it is impossible for the ones serving approximative instruction with no lesson plan, no teaching skills , no training, no business license, no linsurance, and just release a load of un-prepared and incompetent students on the water , when we are trying to keep our spots safe.

So we should expect Matheson safer and more under control, for the sake of students themselves, riders, and spectators!

IKO Certification? quick answers:

an IKO SCHOOL must : be ran by an Level 2 instructor and only hire IKO instructors; carry a kiteboarding liability insurance, certifiy ALL students, and follow the Teaching standards!
this to avoid mis-use of the IKO school definition and label !

An IKO iNstructor Level 1 is completely able to certify Riders ( at least ), but can only teach with 2 kites at a time with a maximum of 4 students .

Christophe Ribot
Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

There is still a lot to do in organizing things at this launch, lots of work, communication and development. It would be good to focus on the information side of things in threads like this. This program is in its infancy but it has some strong promise to secure access at this launch.

Created another thread to grapple with instruction and come up with ideas on how to try to improve it at the following link. Looking forward to constructive input and ideas to bring quality kiting instruction forward there. http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9705

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Looks like we have some somewhat unseasonal breeze on tap for the next several days. Just spoke with Kent and he tells me the van is at Matheson seven days a week (off Mondays unless there is wind), from 9 am to as late as 7 pm IF there is wind. Otherwise they close a bit earlier. They have streamers and are giving exams as detailed earlier in this thread. So, review the rules above and if you're ready,head on down to grab some wind time.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 PM

check ur PM Rick