FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Default windiest place in america

where is the best spot for wind , is there a i dont know a top 20 list and whats the lightest wind place (so i never go to these places for vacation)
Old 01-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Skyway Scott

This one is debatable in terms of what windiest means to you and how you want to interpret stats.
For me, a windy spot would mean a place that gets a lot of days that have 15 knots or more, for 4 hours (or more), especially if the wind was after work , like starting at 4 and ending at 8 pm.

For some others, it might mean the place that hits 35 knots the most days.

If you accept the most days with solid 15 knots idea, I think that a few places in Texas are going to rank high, like Corpus and SPI.

(Unfortunately, I think we live in a place that is sub-average for wind... oh well). We have plenty of other stuff and if it does pick up, we got tons of riding options.
If I didn't have family and a house here, I would have been in Tx ages ago. Everyone is different, but I'd give up 25 plus knots to ride a ton of days in the 15 to 18 knot range.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 PM

KANSAS and OKLAHOMA RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...d/avgwind.html
Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Skyway Scott

I think that might be true
I sold a kite to a kid in Ok. one time. He told me it nuked all the time there!
He said it was flat and windy, wit nuttin but corn.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM

as long as its some place with winds above 15 knots like a steady 18-25 all day or at least half the day could see myself in texas heard everyone kinda dick out there
Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Skyway Scott

Nah. Quite the opposite, imo.

I lived in San Antonio for two years and use to drive to Galveston all the time.
I travelled all over the state for racquetball tourneys and I found the people really nice throughout the state, actually.
Houston was my least favorite, Austin probably my favorite. That was literally 20 years ago though, so maybe things have changed.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM

i travelled to houston for work about 6 months ago. I was only there for like 2 days, and was mainly just driving through and didn't interact with much of anybody. However, the handful of places i did go into (hotels, restaraunts) i got this REALLY bad vibe like i wasn't welcome there. At first i thought it was because the semi i was driving had pennsylvania plates, so i started hiding the truck and walking everywhere......no dice. I guess they can sense an "outsider" and just don't want you there. Maybe we should start treating the snowbirds like that around here.......
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM

That's sad Chad. I have lived here all my life and "some" give me that very same feeling. I have travelled all over the world in search of the greatest waves and only here in Florida, my home, do I ever get that feeling of teritorialism.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Skyway Scott

I think the snowbirds provide the local economy with a large proportion of our income. Probably not a good call to treat them poorly. I've never had a problem with a happy vacationer, anyway. Heck, before the undertow clamped down (I use to ride there ALL the friggin' time, prior to about 8 months ago) I was offered free drinks quite often by vacationers (and the bar). It was pretty nice.

I never could figure out people that put those "Welcome to FL, now go home" stickers on their cars. Especially since most people in FL are transplants. It seems odd. From what I understand, I think people are leaving our area.
Too expensive to live here on our wages with the housing up to where it is.
I think many are going to.... Texas.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Can't Re-member

I thought the windiest place in the U.S. was Mt. Washington New Hampshire with average wind speeds of 56 mph ( gusts to +100mph )

Don't think there is much to do on the mountain but freeze your butt off