FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Default Question for the instructors

Hey,

When teaching body dragging do you only teach without the board?

My point is that I have noticed several kiters learning on their own and getting into blown into rocks and people in the water. When I was learning and I got into trouble or the wind was light and I needed to get upwind and away from danger I would bring the kite to 12 take my board off and stick it out in front of me and body drag out of danger. It may not be a cool move; however, if you are in a tight spot it can get you out of trouble.

Clew In
Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Upwind board drag is a very cool move and an important part of the lesson plan.
It also gets you upwind quickly and helps understand body positioning for a regular board retrieval.
In onshore winds, use it to drag out to a safe distance (outside swim buoys) for a water start.

Grab the handle or toeside edge of the board, with one hand and bury your elbow on the heelside edge of the board.
Align your body with the board and point your toes.
The more weight you put on your elbow, the harder you can edge upwind.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is also a good light wind tactic as you say. If the wind lulls, a frequent thing this time of year down here and you don't have enough wind to keep riding. Or, you keep sinking with each signing cycle you can try to park the kite and wind wait. You will still drift downwind at this point. I've had several cases in which "downwind" was out of bounds guarded beach. So, either I have to get back upwind or drift a mile or so north to come in on unguarded beach, land, tear down and walk all the way back. (NOTE: landing on the guarded beach in anything short of an emergency or walking back kite flying on the guarded beach aren't options in my opinion).

Anyway, one thing you can try that may help if there is enough breeze is to try to hold position or better body drag upwind using the board as described. This has saved me a long walk of shame many times. If you have trouble keeping the kite flying you may not have enough wind to bother.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is also a good light wind tactic as you say. If the wind lulls, a frequent thing this time of year down here and you don't have enough wind to keep riding. Or, you keep sinking with each signing cycle you can try to park the kite and wind wait. This assuming heading in and landing to wind wait isn't an easy option. You will still drift downwind at this point. I've had several cases in which "downwind" was out of bounds guarded beach. So, either I have to get back upwind or drift a mile or so north to come in on unguarded beach, land, tear down and walk all the way back. (NOTE: landing on the guarded beach in anything short of an emergency or walking back kite flying on the guarded beach aren't options around here in my opinion).

Anyway, one thing you can try that may help if there is enough breeze is to try to hold position or better body drag upwind using the board as described. This has saved me a long walk of shame many times. If you have trouble keeping the kite flying you may not have enough wind to bother however. Then Plan B.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi