FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Best of Times ...

and perhaps the worst of times, for newer riders and those without small enough kites. For these folks it would be best to sit this one out until things ease off a bit.

NWS is forecasting honking strong winds for several days out along the SE coast. It is already blowing over 30 kts. in St. Augustine. Well equiped experienced guys are due for some great times in the wind and waves if so inclined.

Today and tonight, NE 15 to 20 and 25 to 30 kts!

Saturday AND Sunday, NE 20-25 kts.

More at: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine.php

Have fun

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 AM

Wind range question, I am 260 can i get away with riding a 14m this weekend? my buddy weighing 160 is looking to hop on a 12. We are looking to the downwinders mentioned and I hope are gear is small enough. We are looking to hit it first thing tommorrow morning before it gets to crazy later in the day. Also note that they are C kites (Nitros)
Old 11-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru
Wind range question, I am 260 can i get away with riding a 14m this weekend? my buddy weighing 160 is looking to hop on a 12. We are looking to the downwinders mentioned and I hope are gear is small enough. We are looking to hit it first thing tommorrow morning before it gets to crazy later in the day. Also note that they are C kites (Nitros)
My guess is that you will be overpowered and if you are still working on technique particularly in waves, this is probably not a good choice for you. It costs, but you might consider hitting one of the boats in the Flats of Miami for a lesson tomorrow and or Sunday. They will provide a small enough flat kite, there will minimal waves, no land nearby, it should be a very productive session. Dealing with the likely high surf, rip currents, etc. in the open ocean may not be all that helpful,fun or safe. If they still have room, this weekend in the Flats may be like a trip to Cabarete with out the flight. There are some major savings there, right?

Remember the man in South Africa at 264 lbs. with a 12 m Flat kite in 20 to 25 kts. gusting higher. Flat kites of course can ideally cover higher winds easier than C kites. I think it is going to get crazy tonight from the forecast, that is when the winds are predicted to hit 30 kts.. Tomorrow morning they may mellow to a high 20 to 25 kts. NE. Too heavy, your friend would probably do better on a 7 to 9 m C kite at 160 lbs. Tough choices but you do have some good options.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-03-2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks Rick, I will inquire on a trip to the flats.

I guess I will have to play it by ear and be extra cautions, Hopefully it will come in more north than east. Lets hope it stays someone calm. I may be on the 12m and my buddy may have to be on the beach :? I just hope it is managable after a bunch of underpowered sessions, now everytime I go it is overpowered, WTF man :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone know any good land boarding spots areound here, all the beaches I have been to in this area the sand has been way to soft. I may get some time in on that this weekend especially late saturday if it is in the 30knot range.