FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Default new kite video

Hey guys,
I put a short video together, most of it is random clips from this summer. Some was filmed during the Watersportswest trip to Aruba, but most was filmed in the tampa bay area, or Delray area.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBteAuIH3Q

-Sean Buell
Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

To embed videos type "youtube]niBteAuIH3Q[/youtube]" adding in the left "["
from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBteAuIH3Q

Nice video Sean! I missed the part about Florida footage mixed in initially. I had no clue where on Aruba you have a sand beach and waves aside from some small ones at Boca Grande. Makes sense now!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 PM

thanks Rick,
Yeah I love Boca Grande, barely even spent any time riding the Huts this year. Plus the wind died half the trip which was kind of weird for Aruba..I haven't seen you out riding Boca lately. Mon and Tues was awesome out there. Although it seems like a lot more of the delray guys are stating to flock over. Becoming less of a secret spot.
-Sean
Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 AM

Sean, great video and good sound too....Just some great clips....
Old 09-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I tried the Huts twice, this was years back still on C kites. Despite the intensity of things at the beach, lacking a really large board, the trick was to rig a large kite. A kite big enough to power you through the lulls. With the limited depower in those days that was an interesting proposition. Really liked Boca Grande. It is unusual to have a windward spot with a sand beach in the ABC islands. Bonaire used to have Lac Bay, no longer unfortunately for kiting. Still I understand they are making the best of the offshore wind spots with chase boats like Pink Beach. Glad it was a good trip for you. Was there twice this week, it is the closest spot to my house. Delray is huge, why would they want to come to that dinky and easily congested launch?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 AM

What is the most economical way to get to Boca Grande from the hotel area? ...And what
kite size do you recommend for the Huts vs Boca Grande since the wind is offshore at
the Huts? Thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I recommend renting a car, there may not even be a bus with direct service to Boca Grande. Also, it is a long way from the NW part of the island to Boca Grande on the SE coast. I would call down there and get their advice about kites. The wind can vary although most of it is from the trades. The thing about the Huts is it is offshore and gusty with land wind shadow effects. Boca Grande is largely clean wind off the ocean. BOW kites likely help a lot to tone down the gust range at the Huts compared to the old C kites. The first time I was heading down but had to cancel on the day of travel, winds were into the low 40 mph range at the Huts! Trade winds into the higher 30's weren't that uncommon at various times of day not too far off in Bonaire. When I actually made it to Aruba, the winds were a lot lighter, mainly below 20 mph, even down close to 10 mph at one point. I would call these guys and see what they say for your time of travel. You might even be able to rent a larger board for the Huts to help things out.

http://www.arubakitesurfingschool.com/
http://www.kitesurfingaruba.com/

Have fun down there!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Thanks Rick.... i have kited the Huts a few times, and as you say, the offshore gusty
conditions make it a challenging place especially deciding on what size kite to rig. I
thought that probably renting a car was the only way to Boca. I will check the websites
for more info. Do you happen to remember the hours that kiting is allowed at the Huts?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

This is going back years, but I think before 9 and after 5? The thing is, if you go further north up the NW coast away from the windsurfers, I don't think there is any time restriction. I would confirm that with the schools there. Of course you may cut yourself out of the option for a chase boat up that way. It would suck to be blown off island if your kite becomes disabled. It is pretty shallow a good ways offshore fortunately.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi