FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM

How about using heavy machinery to carve out a new launch site for east winds. We could create a sandbar and make it large enough to accomodate all of us. We'll start at zen's backyard. Too extreme??
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 PM

RM3001

All is true as there are not that many great places for beginners to go. East Beach over the Skyway for sure. Gulf over the backside of the Skyway for sure on westerlies. Yes the gulf is deeper and wavier, but a bit more forgiving than the backside.

When riding Eastbeach on an East wind, just make sure you take the time to walk way upwind of the riding area. This will have to be done in about a foot of soft muck with your kite in the air, but it is the only way. This will allow you some riding time as you are going downwind before getting into the riding area. On southerly winds East Beach is more onshore so it is a bit more difficult to get away from the riding area. Bottom line, effort will need to be taken to stay clear of the riding area to keep yourself and others from getting tangled. Unfortunately, East beach can get crowded so get there on weekdays and early morning for least crowds.

Riding the gulf can have some advantages as you can just work yourself downwind for miles and take a trolley back to your car. Plenty of room and no walking. What could be better???

Hit these spots on winds that your are comfortable in and you will be fine. It is all about being patient and finding the right conditions for your ability level. There are no shortcuts.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 AM

Sean,

What are your thoughts about teaching without a chase boat.

If I were going to teach, I'd be sure to include a chase vehicle along with all the satey items(tags, weather handbooks, signs, ect,)

I ask Sean, cuz to my knowledge, he is the most qualified to speak on this subject for obvious reasons.

I'm sure at some point the student is proficient enuff2 ditch the chase boat.

LP iz not a great spot for beginners for this reason.

Skyway does have deeper waters so it iz a better choice IMO.

By far the >>>best<<< spot for lessons in st pete is between tarpon key and jackass key.

This is the area between I275 and Tierra Verti/Ft. Desoto.

Waist deep water and it works on ANY wind direction.

Steve O, please tell me your not teaching on our gulf beaches.
peace
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 AM

Brian,

That's a big notta. Teach around Caladesi State Park, Honeymoon State Park, 3 rooker sand bar, and Anclote Key. Also have used a chase boat between Tarpon and Jackass key.

I have done a few basic kite flying lessons on the beach, but have never tried to put someone in the water with a kite on the beach. IMO it just doesn't work very well. But that's me.

Last edited by Steve-O; 09-12-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

Default My Backyard!

Hey Sean B... love the idea.. don't know about heavy machinery, but if the right hurricane hits.... it's on Besides who wants all these damn condos taking up precious waterfront anyways :lol:
Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Thumbs up

"That's a big notta. Teach around Caladesi State Park, Honeymoon State Park, 3 rooker sand bar, and Anclote Key. Also have used a chase boat between Tarpon and Jackass key.

I have done a few basic kite flying lessons on the beach, but have never tried to put someone in the water with a kite on the beach. IMO it just doesn't work very well. But that's me."

cool cool
yo man you rock.
peace
Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 AM

bump.
Another goodie