FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default 6th Annual Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion

t's that time again ...

"Where: Juno Beach (Kite Beach, Shower Head 10, click HERE for map and directions.)
Jupiter Kiteboarding invites you to the 6th Annual Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion. This years competition will consist of separate heats in both strapless and freestyle Kiteboarding. This year we will also have a series of paddleboarding races.

Friday Jan 30th
9-10 AM Riders Check In
10:15 AM Riders Meeting Top of Stairs, Neil Hutchinson
11 AM Freestyle, Strapless or Paddleboarding Heats (Discipline will depend on weather conditions.)
12 PM Lunch Provided for Riders
12:30 PM Freestyle, Strapless or Paddleboarding Heats (Discipline will depend on weather conditions.)
7:30 PM Dinner and Videos at Corners Restaurant Indiantown Road (71 E. Indiantown Rd. Jupiter, FL)

Saturday Jan 31st
8-9 AM Riders Check In
9:15 AM Riders Meeting Top of Stairs, Neil Hutchinson
9:30 AM Freestyle, Strapless or Paddleboarding Heats (Discipline will depend on weather conditions.)
12:30 PM Freestyle, Strapless or Paddleboarding Heats (Discipline will depend on weather conditions.)
7:30 PM Dinner and Videos at Corners Restaurant Indiantown Road (71 E. Indiantown Rd. Jupiter, FL)

Sunday Feb 1st
8-9 AM Riders Check In
9:15 AM Riders Meeting Top of Stairs, Neil Hutchinson
9:30 AM Freestyle, Strapless or Paddleboarding Final Heats
1-3 PM Awards Ceremony - Top of Stairs

- At registration all competitors must choose what category they would like to enter, wave/strapless or freestyle

- Maximum of 24 riders in each category with a minimum of 16 in each category

- First round will be 6 man heats 10 min each 2 min transition (consisting as closely as possible 3 freestyle and 3 wave/strapless)
2 wave/strapless and 2 freestyle will go through from these 8 heats

- Second round will be 4 man heats of 8 min each with 2 min transition
1 wave/strapless and 1 freestyle will go through from these 8 heats

- Semi final will be 4 man heats of 8 min each with 2 min transition
1 wave/strapless and 1 freestyle will go through from these 4 heats

- There will then be a final of 4 for wave/strapless and a final of 4 for freestyle both 10 min heats
Paddleboarding Race Format

Round 1 - Individual
The event will begin with 8 Heats with 8 riders per heat. Each heat will be separated into 4 winners and 4 losers. After the first 8 heats there will be a winners bracket of 32 riders and a losers bracket of 32 riders.

Round - 2 Individual
Next there will be a losers round consisting of 4 heats of 8 riders. Each heat will be separated into 4 winners and 4 losers. At this point 16 people will be eliminated.

Semifinal - 3 Individual
The 16 winners from the losers round will advance and compete against the 32 winners from heat 1. The 48 riders will compete in 6 heats with 8 riders each, from each heat 1 rider will advance.

Finals - 3 Individual
The final heat will have 6 riders and first, second and third choice will be chosen.

Round 1 - Team Relay
Each competitor will choose a teammate. The event will begin with 4 heats with 16 riders per heat, 8 riders on the water at once.

Round 2 - Team Relay
The 4 winning teams will have a final heat to name the first, second and third winners.

Sponsors: Slingshot, Cabrinha, North, GK, Eclipse, Litewave, Dakine, Transcend, NPX"

From: http://jupiterkiteboarding.com/store...beb0042f5e73ef

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Is the event still on for Jan30 - Feb1?

Thanks
Craig
Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Jeremy usually picks a date and sticks with it. It is supposed to go off starting this coming Friday.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just spoke to Jeremy and it is starting this Friday as scheduled going through Sunday. Hope to see you there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Jimmy Lewis sponsors the Jupiter Invasion

In support of his new US distributor based in Miami, Jimmy Lewis is sending a 6'3" Chamber KT to be awarded at the Jupiter Kite Invasion. Fuacata Sports, the new distributor will be on hand with Jimmy Lewis SUP and Kiteboard Demos available. We will be watching all the events and choosing the best amateur wave ride to be awarded with this great board which is on it's way from Maui right now. This applies to SUP and Kite and Strapless competitors.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Great news about the prizes! Looks like there should be wind and waves for the event. Nothing like a strong NW wind to setup some nice glassy swells in Jupiter. North is side onshore up that way, so good to go for kiting as well as the cold front clocks the wind. It's getting close now.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Was holding off to toss up a forecast. It has been changing somewhat a few times a day and will likely continue to change into the weekend. Still, it is getting GOOD! So, fingers crossed and here goes ...

Friday...West winds 15 to 20 knots becoming northwest 20 to 25 knots. Near shore...seas 2 to 3 feet. In the gulf stream...seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.

Friday Night... Northwest winds 15 to 20 knots becoming 20 to 25 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday...North winds 20 to 25 knots becoming 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Saturday Night...Northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 5 to 7 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Sunday...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...Southeast winds 15 to 20 knots becoming east 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 feet or less near shore and up to 2 to 4 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

From: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....y=63&site=mfl

Hope it holds or gets even better. With that sort of setup, clocking strong out of the west to NW, then cooking overnight, we're talking some WAVES. Should be fun.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM
damion_dark

sorry for the barrage of questions but i must ask...

I'm going there to watch the competition.

How come you only posted the Jupiter Kiteboardin Invasion only yesterday? I thought it would be in the UPCOMING EVENTS section at least one month in advanced so everyone knows?

Is the parking free? I wouldn't like to have to keep changing out bills for quarters and whatnot? Would be a hassle if I decide to camp out.

Do you have to pay to get in?

Is there an area on the beach nearby with flat knee high water for beginners to practice on without disturbing the competition going on nearby?

Can I camp out on the beach or somewhere near the beach? Well, probably a park or something slightly inland because the wind will be kicking and a tent would flap like crazy. I'd just really hate to drive back to ft lauderdale and drive back up the next day. I'm extremely broke.

I couldn't help but notice the winds in your forecast sound like offshore winds. I thought one should never go kitesurfing in offshore winds?

Also where did you get that forecast? I usually have to rely on weather underground which does a generally good job at predicting the weather but i was wondering what your sources were.

Again sorry for all the questions.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 PM
damion_dark

oh yeah, how many kiters can we expect to see out there?

If the biggest craziest kitesurfing competition you've been to was a 10 on a scale from 1-10, what would this be?

Please excuse my bluntness, I'm just not familiar with competitions.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Jeremy became concerned about too great a turnout of riders in response to lots of publicity a couple of years back. I recall he gave one weeks notice that year. Since that time, I've backed off myself. The first notice of this year's event went up on here a couple of weeks ago, http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7712

If you are really interested in Florida kiting events and possible timing, you should look over the coverage of past events including the last five years of this contest at: http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115

Unless they've put in meters in the last year, I recall there is no fee for parking. No one charges admission either. You sound like you might be new to the area. I wouldn't expect ANY flat water with useable wind on Saturday. There will likely be a nasty shore break for new kiters although competitors will likely enjoy it. Waves will likely come down a bit on Sunday by the current forecast. If you are not used to kiting in waves, good sized ones at that, I wouldn't plan of kiting on Saturday in that area. Checkout the wave photos from some of the past events here. Flat water is largely unheard of in normal winds in the open ocean, Biscayne Bay and Keys excepted.

There is no legal camping on the beach in Jupiter/Juno or anywhere else on a beach in SE Florida that comes to mind. A couple of the State parks allow it that are near the beach along with the normal commercial camp grounds usually inland. Do your research to avoid problems. Some info along these lines appears in the Florida Guide at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2278

Yes, offshore winds are predicted for Friday unsuitable for kiting. Winds may bend sideshore in Jupiter, MAYBE, by micrometeo effects but I wouldn't count on it. Neil has standup paddle surfing events laid on which should work out fine regardless of wind direction.

There is a ton of info on this site, covering all your questions and a great deal more. Look around, you have an inquisitive nature, you should find lots of interest. Wx info for all areas of the state appear in the various quadrant forums, for this area at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi