FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-16-2006, 12:15 AM

Default Beginning Gear / Starting Out

Hello everyone!

I wanted to get into kite boarding for over 2 years now, ever since I saw it being done on my travels. As far as I can tell there are no instructors, schools, or clubs were I am from (Alaska). So I was considering purchasing a set up and basically during the summer after work, just doing some ground handling, practicing with the kite in light to moderate wind. Then when I start traveling again this winter, I could travel with it, and find a school and get some proper instructions. This way can develop the good habits, and hopefully reform bad ones. So couple of questions are:

Is this something that people would recommend doing?

For someone just learning what type and size of kite, board, # of lines, would be recommended (I’m 6 feet tall/ ~183cm, 215 pounds/97.5 kgs, guessing wind speeds around 8-20 kts)?

What are things I can do or need to consider in order to minimize the risk of hurting myself, others, or my gear.

What type of training kites are available and recommended, would like to start out focusing on the water side of things, but also get into snow also.

Any other considerations I need to be thinking and aware of?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Jason
Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Beginning Gear / Starting Out

Hello Jason,

Interesting situation. I would recommend doing as much research and study that you can in advance about all aspects of our sport as possible before heading into the water for the first time. A few concerns come to mind.

What is the typical water temperature where you would ride? Guys south of you ride in high quality dry suits. I understand that some may even using super thick wetsuits but there are important pros and cons to each approach that you should be aware of.I have yet to make it to Alaska sadly so here's a dumb question. Do you have available sand beaches to launch from? Rock cobble beaches and traction kites can do a real number on your feet and anything else they can come in contact with at speed. I thought you have some pretty powerful storms too sweeping in off the Artic/Siberia. Are these much of a factor during the riding season (July and August?) there? Do you need a chase boat? Adverse currents are a factor in some places. A bad day at the beach in Ft. Lauderdale may have fewer elements than a bad day at one of your local launches. Knowledge and preparation are key.

Again, I haven't been there but like the Canadian Maritimes way to the east, kiteboarding in your area may have some special challenges and hazards to be mindful of and deal with carefully. You might put the same question out in another forum, on in the NW (south of you of course). I believe there are some parallels to riding considerations in your area.

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/

You might seriously consider putting off getting into the sport until you can get the best training that you can find. Locating a good instructor on the coast say around Vancouver or in Washington might give you a head start for conditions/riding in your area. You could learn a great deal about kiteboarding say in Baja but very little about the environment you will need to ride in. Doing both of course, before rigging up in Alaska would be even better.

I saw a new training video that you can view online for a couple more days if you have a fast connection at:

http://www.kiteblogs.com/archives/267

It might be worth picking up. Despite what might be implied about it containing all that you need to know, it doesn't. Particularly not for Alaska! Still it has a lot of good information.

Spending a lot of time going through this site could also help.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-16-2006, 09:24 AM

Hi Jason
We have a lot of entusiastic kiteboarders in the Vancouver area. I was out yesterday with about 35 other kiters in 3 degree C weather having a hoot. Most of us wear Ocean Rodeo drysuits and then we are fine.

Rick is right, you may want to log onto www.skypilotkiteboarding.com which has an active discussion group. Our local shop is http://www.airtimeboardsports.com/
and they have all the knowledge about cold water kiting.

Another good site is
http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/

The guys in Florida may have warm weather, but we have great wind. (Then again, I am about to head out this morning in cold grey conditions, and the idea of Florida seems pretty nice).

:wink:
Chris Glazier
Vancouver
Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 PM

Rick & Chris

Hey guys thanks for the links, added the skypilot link into my favorites, and probably spend all sunday going through it. Alaska beaches can range from sand to gravel to cobble, and near Anchorage, we have this glacer silt, that is really bad news if you get stuck in it, called "killer mud". Here is a link I found while searching through google.

http://www.jlowther.com/Pages/kitty/...r the feedback

Jason