FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > STANDUP - Standup Paddleboarding, Beach-Boy Surfing, Standup Surfing or Hui O He'e Nalu
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 PM
thebestkite

Default Lifejacket

QUESTION for the board members.
Today I did a nice paddle, through the Intercoastal, out the inlet and along the beach.
When I reached past 17st Causeway Bridge there was a Police boat inspecting passerby's. When I go closer, the officer summoned me to him. When I was close he told me that you have to have a lifejacket and a whistle with you. Not necessarily wearing it but at least on the board with you.

Is a board leash also is required these days ?
Anyone familiar with this legislation ? When did this happen ?
Anyhow, something more to carry around I guess...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 AM

"The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has officially classified stand up paddleboards (SUP) as a vessel. With the rapid growth of SUP in recent years on the West and East coast of the United States, the Coast Guard recently classified “paddleboards”, meaning SUP’s as “vessels.” SUP, the newly classified vessels must comply with federal Navigation Rules and “carriage” requirements when operated beyond the limits of a swimming, surfing or bathing area. Adult stand-up paddlers are required to have a USCG-approved life jacket also known as Personal Floatation Device (PFD, Type III) for each person, a sound signaling device (whistle), visual distress signal and navigation light (flashlight)."

http://worldpaddleassociation.com/20...ed-as-vessels/
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 AM

"WASHINGTON - The U.S. Coast Guard in a decisional memo dated Oct.3, classified paddleboards as vessels in accordance with Title 1 United States Code, Section 3.

This classification means that when used beyond the narrow limits of a swimming, surfing, or bathing area, no person may use a paddleboard unless in compliance with the Navigation Rules, and applicable carriage requirements for this type of vessel.

This may include a Coast Guard approved life jacket for each person on board, a sound producing device, visual distress signals, and proper navigation lights. A police-type whistle and a flashlight comply with these requirements.

The Coast Guard has also exempted the hull identification number requirement from the manufacturing standards.......

It is important to note that paddleboards in the surf-zone will not be affected by the decision and that the Coast Guard does not define the limits of surf zones....."

http://www.ratlines.com/SUBSpaddleboards.htm
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The USCG started enforcing this in the NW about two years ago, it looks like it is being enforced locally now. I got my wife one of these to wear. It stays out of the way. I see others securing normal Type I PFDs to the back of their boards when they paddle.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...10001_99591_-1

If you are surfing close to shore, I understand there is an exemption.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi