FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Tom Stock

Default OT: Perception of time

Apparently we have proved that time can be perceived differently depending on circumstance. Remember those kitemares where time seemed to slow down and you had all the time to make a series of decisions to save yourself? Or that big jump which seemed like an eternity?

Well you really DID slow down time for yourself. Scientists used a timer which flashed numbers TOO FAST to be seen.

But, when a subject was dropped into a net from 150 feet (with this timer on their wrist) they were suddenly able to read it as the adrenaline was pumped into their blood stream. So time REALLY WAS slowed down for the subject.

Interesting, no?

They also found that cocaine slowed time, while marijuana sped it up.

So, the higher you jump the slower time is for you. If you are stoned you negate any benefits of extended hang time. If you are on cocaine you get maximum hang time.

The best combination seems to be slammed on coke in 35 knots on a 9m. You could live forever, or just a few minutes depending on whether you are the subject or the spectator.

-tom
Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Skyway Scott

That's definitely a neat experiment.
It sounds like you could make the analogy that your brain is a video camera, and on coke you record more frames per second, on pot less frames per second.

Actually, to truly affect time, you would want to be traveling the speed of light on coke, right?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Tom Stock

Right, but when you came back to the beach everyone would be old and kiteboarding would be banned.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
It sounds like you could make the analogy that your brain is a video camera, and on coke you record more frames per second, on pot less frames per second.
i think you FPS is always at maximum, but your brain only processes a certain amount.... when the adreneline kicks in your senses are all enhanced and in overdrive, this causes your brain to process much more then usual...

definately a cool experiment.....

i wonder how fast of numbers i could have counted during my kiteloop ?????
Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 AM
Skyway Scott

None, because you got a concussion.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I remember about 2 seconds of images flying 165 ft. into a house. One was looking down and seeing my harness line twisted and locked on to the hook, the other was flying over the beach and some seagrape trees about 30 to 35 ft. up. Don't recall seeing the house, that part got edited out by ... who does the editing on these things anyway. Not sure how long the flight was, pretty short probably. I suspect time did stretch out though although most of it was left on the cutting room floor. Can't comment on drug influences prior to flight time, got those after. Interesting stuff to speculate about, not to do though, ouch.

What do folks remember in past experiences in the seconds of out of control flight? That is if anything, in some wipeouts I have good sized blanks at times leading to, how did that happen?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Tom Stock

BTW, in a later experiment, they tested the brains internal clock by training rats to push a button every 12 seconds.

All rats could repeatedly push the button, every 12 seconds spot on. They gave one cocaine, and the other marijuana. The cocaine rat pressed it every 8 seconds. The marijuana rat pressed it every 18 seconds. The control rat continued to press it every 12 seconds.

Later they gave the third rat crack. He escaped, took the scientist's car and credit cards and was found in a crack house a block away.

Ok I added the last part lol.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Skyway Scott

Funny Tom.

This is still my favorite, MOcean from the Bahamas group posted this about 3 years ago.