FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 AM

Default Summertime Fun

Well, With the lack of wind we have in the summer time, comes tounament diving season, This was the first of several tournaments I will partipate in this summer, The southern open state championships. Over all there were 150+ divers and over 1000's lbs of fish taken. And what makes this tournament special is all procedes went to fight for Divers rights. More can be read on the tounament here www.divefsda.com

This hog was in first place untill 5min before weigh in's closed, it weighed in at 17lbs, and was beaten by a 21lber. All in all a great tournament, and although my hog was beaten at the last minute, we fill the freezer with some tasty fish

All of these fish were taken in the Florida Middle Grounds, 80mi west of NPR, IMO some of the best underwater hunting grounds in the world.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Can't Re-member

Thats one NICE HOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

That is a big hog! By Divers Rights does that mean they want to open Pennecamp up to spearfishing? I think line fishing is allowed there currently.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 AM

The Fishing Rights Alliance, FRA, advocates the sustainable use of and access to marine fisheries. The FRA promotes reasonable and effective fisheries management policies primarily through community and political activism and user group interaction with the scientific community and the various regulatory agencies.

The FRA also endeavors to inform and educate the membership and general public about issues concerning access to marine resources. The FRA will actively defend the right to access.

The FRA acts to assure that fishery regulation is based on sound scientific methods using valid data and an accurate picture of the fishery.

The FRA will stand up and fight to protect your fishing rights.

This is how the FRA protects your fishing rights.

Attend fisheries management meetings

Maintain a full time watch on fishing regulations

Support active research in marine fisheries

Keep members informed and active

Defend your right to fish where you want (Resource Access).
Alert members to write/call/attend when needed

Maintain contact with fisheries management agencies

Question bad science

Defend your rights using good science

Protect the resource so you can still catch fish (Sustainable harvest).

When reason, logic and facts are not enough…..Legal action may be required. And our sharks don't lose.

More can be found here THEFRA.ORG
Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I used to go to some of these fisheries management meetings, did some pelagic and reef fish stock assessments, artificial reef design/installation and studies, etc.. There are a lot of politics and confusion in the meetings and policy to be sure, the human condition. The FRA's intent to use "good science" is an excellent one. Developing useful, good data is another matter but if they are true to their aim, they should get somewhere helpful.

Question, do you recall some of the spearfishermen back in the day, talking way back in the late 1950's and early 1960's down here in SE Florida. Not talking about identities but about catches. We're talking about massive groupers and plenty of them in some cases. Have you seen the pictures from back then? So, when was the last time you saw catches like that from our area, in these times? I never have myself. The sizes are smaller as are the quantities in the catch as a broad generality. This is where "Sustainable harvest" ties in. What is the FRA effectively pursuing to insure this happens while apparently trying to increase harvesting and access to currently closed areas in the face of diminishing stocks?

Spearfishing is highly selective as has been said, far more so than line fishing. It is also fairly effective at taking out well mature higher order predators, i.e. grouper, large snapper, etc.. Where and how are replacements recruited or are they harvested before they attain these larger size classes? One problem with consistently taking out the largest individuals is you also remove genes of highly successful individuals from the population. Good fisheries management? I'm not against spearfishing but I doubt that expansion of the activity or line fishing for that matter is a good idea in these times.

Last point, free diving is on the rebound in a big way. I think that is a great thing. It takes far more skill than SCUBA diving, is a great conditioning activity, is good for the mind and more. There is a potential problem in the USA however unlike some other countries seeing this sort of growth. There is a big emphasis on spearfishing as the primary outlet for the activity. With sustainable stocks, no big deal, I don't believe we are at that point anymore from what evidence I've seen over the decades. Free diving can give tons more satisfaction, sense of accomplishment, outlet for stress than focusing primarily on taking out some fish in an already stressed environment. For the sustainability of the activity, I would advise widening the pitch to new divers.

Question, why do people ski and snowboard if they can't blow away caribou and elk on the mountain? What possible benefit could they get from the experience of riding down the mountain if not for harvesting meat? Maybe there is more to it?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi