FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 PM

Exclamation Video Kitesurfing in 3d

Hello,
Have you ever seen a kitesurfing video in 3d ?

>>>>> http://vimeo.com/10182018

and the 2d version >>> http://vimeo.com/9859893

enjoy
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I saw an experiment on youtube or vimeo on 3-D video last year or so. Looks like things have come a long way in that short time. Thanks for posting it. How did you go about shooting (with a stereo pair of cameras?) and processing it?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM

it's a beta version to testing interpolation picture with software. So, just one camera has filmed. Thank a program, a virtual cam had been created to get two pictures. A next version will arrive with two real camera to obtain an awesome 3d picture.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds like a great development. Not sure if the camera parametrics are suitable or not but the GoPro HD provides an inexpensive platform, readily mounted at pre-spaced distances between objectives in hardened housings. Not sure if the wide angle of view would introduce problems with circular and spherical aberration for the software. I was thinking about playing with it as I have several of the cameras already. That is what compelled me to look into the 3-D stuff on youtube and vimeo. Please keep it coming!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-19-2010, 05:43 PM

ok rickI, you seem to be very interested by 3d imaging
This video is a beta test 3d stereoscopy which use the old technology : anaglyph pictures with cyan and red filters. That's why, the final quality is not incredible.

Better ways exist but few screen can display dual pictures to get a real 3d like avatar or others movies... Only new 120 htz LCD screen synchronised with polarized glasses. For the moment, nobody can play such 3d videos.

You have already several cameras. If theses are the same, you can fix them on a base. The wide angle between the two cam is not very important. But the distance through them must be 6.5 centimeters (as between eyes).

An easy way out is to buy a true sterescopic camera such as the last aiptek : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mySrq7_Lr-M

On the other hand, the definition is not great....

In my mind it's better to build your own 3d camera.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Was more interested in underwater photogrammetric stereo imaging back in the day for bottom surveys. Cameras and processing have dropped so vastly in price it is impressive what you can achieve today. Planned a reef survey off Jeddah, Saudia Arabia in 1980. We were going to capture visual and acoustic images of large sections of the reef each year. Was planning on going from Satellite imagery for large scale features down the ground truthing through macro photography UW. Tipping in high frequency side scan sonar imaging as well for larger scale bottom features. We were looking to do digital image area measurements to speed things along. Trouble was even though the hardware cost $100,000. USD it lacked the ability to extract target (reef colony) areas in normal image contrast, it was too subtle. I bet you could do a much better job today with something like shareware! Thanks for the links, interesting stuff. I haven't seen much about the aiptek since the first PR releases some months back. How does the camera perform now that it has been out for a while?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi