FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Crandon Park To Fowey Light Race
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM

Default DOWNWINDER to Boca Chica tomorrow: N wind!

hi guys,
Miamikiteboarding put one of their kiteboat available for an ADVANCED RIDER DOWNWINDER tomorrow Thursday with Strong NORTH WIND.
It's going to be a bit chilly but great condition for a 1/2 day downwinder to BOCA CHICA , going through the flats of Stilltsville , Soldier Key , and stop by the lighthouse of Boca , before a ride back to Hobie.

It's also a perfect practice /trial for your legs before this Weekend Long distance race to Fowey Rock.

5 riders Maximum. limited space on board. Fee is $150. Including drinks and power bars.
Call asap at 305 401 8885, ask Patrick or Chris.

Departure tentively by 11 AM from Crandon or Hobie. or if wind too much North we take you to Westpoint sandbar and start form out there . Call in the morning to check the meeting point.
We are all equipped and well versed in Launching kites from Sandbars. we do it for 7 years !

Full wetsuit a must , we can lend you some shorty and heatseekers though, if u are really not equipped .
No lessons ran tomorrow

see you tomorrow

Boca Chica Lighthouse and Harbor

Christophe Ribot

Last edited by ricki; 02-27-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Christophe,

Have to protest this one, you're laying on TOO MUCH fun while lots of us will have to sit this one out. Sounds like a real challenging run. That's around 12 to 14 miles straight downwind. The high is to be about 67 degrees (I would go for the full wetsuit, even a heat seeker is going to be chilly over that time).

The NWS southern zone forecast is for 20 to 25 kts. N to NE while the one over Miami is 15 to 20 kts. N. It will blowing into the face of the Florida Current kicking waves up pretty well on the outside and generating a nasty head chop inside. The Naples race was almost dead downwind for about 20 miles but with wind around the mid teens or less and with a small following rolling sea. If the wind pumps up this could be a pretty technical (and tiring) run. What was it Stacey said to do in Naples ... oh yeah, loop-loop left, then loop-loop right and ... btw, threw some more shots in your post.

Have fun and don't get too sore for the weekend, could happen!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM

yes sorry.
but as u can bet i won't be on the boat tomorrow: i can't let my herniated disc getting jammed on the boat for 5 hrs. so i let my captain running it . which allow me to pass on the Chills...!
However a full suit and it's rolling. we have done it so many times.
and the Boca Chica ride worth so much the trip. It is actually a very easy downwind, as you can ride on the glassy water above the 1 feet deep flats . no chops, only for the boat staying out.
The 15 miles can be ran in 1 hr, things go fast @25kts , even with a straight down wind , But it is not the idea : we take it easy and enjoy the scenery via Stilltsville, and Soldier key.
According the conditions we can also reduce the distance during the trip.

So we will let the ice meld in the morning and plan on starting by mid day.
Actually the captain will be certainly sore more than the riders at the finished.

and you right i'm gonna get the Google earth Pro version too.
see u SUNDAY FOR THE CRANDON - FOWEY RACE.

Christophe Ribot
Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Looks like it will settle down to around 15 to 20 kts. north. Light enough wind but a challenging direction. Still, an hour isn't that long at all to deal with it. Have fun and fingers crossed for this weekend.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

So how was it? Get any pictures?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi