FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Default Lasek or Contacts?

Im a new guy getting into kiteboarding. I brought this question up about 6 months ago about vision. after my second lesson body dragging and my sunglasses falling off constantly I realize im going to have issues with my sight.
Im interested in getting Lasek however its a little on the expensive side. Can anyone share their experience with either.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM

I have had contracts for roughly 15 years and very active in watersports: kiteboarding, wakeboarding, sailing, swimming, etc. I cannot think of one instance where I have lost a contact in the water. I can even open my eyes underwater. The only one that I can remember losing one is from having the visor up on the helmet while riding a motorcycle. On my end, I would say you would have no problems with contacts.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Honda, What type of contacts do you use? I was told from my eye doctor to go with disposables. Chuck them after each session.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:31 PM

I use frequency 55 toric disposable contacts (for astigmitism). They are supposed to be changed every 2 weeks. Many doctors will tell you that 4 weeks is ok. That being said, I use clear care contact solution (soft contacts), this stuff is freaking awesome. I always loved the feeling of new contacts and with this solution they feel better then new everytime. I have had many people try it and no one has ever not switched to it after using it.

here is a link for it (they sell it everywhere), you have to follow directions and be sure to change the holder before it runs out.

http://www.clearcaresolution.com/

Using this solution I will wear a pair of contacts for way longer than I should, probably more than 3 months! With all other solutions I used, I could never wear a pair more than 4 weeks and after 1 week I noticed degraded performance. I think this is the only reason I wear them longer than recommended, I only started on clear care around 2002, so from 1991-2002 I was very used to feeling what contacts felt like after 2-4 weeks with old solution and since I never feel any irritation, i figure they are fine.

If I had not found this solution, I would likely have done laser eye surgery.

That being said, I know a lot of people that are super happy with the results of laser eye surgery, you just have to make sure you go to the right place.

So, a brief answer to your question is that it is fine either way and I would not change pairs after every session. Kiting and water sports have played no role in when I change my contacts with clear care. With my old solutions it would cause me to change them more often because they did not clean the lens as much.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Guys, thanks for the tips. I think Contacts is a decent way to go. appreciate the help.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Contact lens user just about my whole adult life. 20+ years now.

I think you have to insist your contacts fit properly. This can also play into comfort and the ability for the lens to stay put and not come off as easily.

With that said, I tend to loose contacts from time to time especially in the ocean on heavy wind days. Your gonna take some good wipeouts and yes sometimes you lose a lens. You might consider using a pair of spexusa.com or something like it to keep the spray down.

RainX is nice for the lenses as it can keep the vision fairly clear.

Only once, did I lose both lenses which brought new meaning to riding blind.

I would like to get Lasik but the cost is intense. The contact is the next best thing for sure. Overall, it works fine.

I think I am going to ask for surgery when I turn 40.

Did I just say that???