FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderderdale RACE! > Race Info
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM

Neil,

I took the liberty of writting what may be a pretty good way to start the event. This will allow for a very visual start with no chance of premature starters. This also gives those looking to just cruise the race a way to start at their own speed. Let me know what you think.

In this, it is very important that the flags be raised and lowered crisply as it is the visual signal and not the horn that riders on the water will go by.

I would suggest that the flags be raised on a windsurfing mast at the top of the hill. I can supply the masts for the polls and probably even flags that can be spray painted to the correct collors. Let me know.

Here it is:

At the riders meeting the race organizer will issue starting position numbers (see below for allocation). During the meeting the race organizer will indicate the time of the first possible start (i.e. 10:00 a.m.). Riders will be given an opportunity to synchronize their watches to the official starter’s time.

Number allocation:

All riders will be given a number between 1 and the number of entrants (i.e. 100). Riders will be seeded according to their finish position from last year’s event. Only those riders that finished will be seeded. All new entrants and those that failed to finish last year’s event will receive their number based on a random drawing.

The Start: (there will be 2 options for riders to choose)

Option #1. Riders may choose to start on the beach between the southern most staff on the beach and the northern most staff on the beach. These riders will line up according to their allocated number, with the lowest numbers being closest to the Southern most starting staff. This option is recommended for those riders just looking to cruise the course and are not necessary looking to win the event.

Option #2. Riders may choose to start on the water. These riders will launch and proceed to the water. Riders may ride before the start anywhere north of the Southern most starting staff on the beach. Their start line will be an imaginary line that extends directly eastward from the southern most starting staff on the beach to the ocean. After the 1 minute horn and correspondent flag on the beach, NO RIDER is allowed to ride south of the imaginary line. Any rider that is south of the imaginary starting line will be disqualified by the race director. There are no exceptions. Disqualified riders will be notified at the finish.

The Sequence:

• Preparatory signal: 15 seconds before the 20 minutes signal several short blasts of the horn will be sounded.

• 20 minutes to start: A white flag will be raised and one single long blast of the horn will be sounded.

• 10 minutes to start: The white flag will be lowered and a single blast of the horn will be sounded.

• 5 minutes to start: A red flag will be raised and a single blast of the horn will be sounded.

• 1 minute to start: The red flag will be lowered and a single blast of the horn will be sounded. It is at this point that any rider south of the southern most staff will be disqualified.

• Start: Green flag up and single blast of the horn. All riders GO!

As horn can be difficult to hear in windy conditions, it is the raising and lowering of the flags that riders should pay closest attention to.

In an instance where by the race director needs to amend the start sequence, several blasts of the horn will be given and the director will start over again from the 5 minute sequence.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

If the wind is east as currently forecast, it might be a bugger to channel that many riders through a narrow corridor in the nearshore surf initially. Some people seem to beat offshore better than others in practice. I have seen a lot of traffic jams just off the beach in Delray with a lot fewer kiters. If guys could get a bit offshore and make a running start it might be better, then again this exercise may be easier for some riders than others. Depending on just how onshore it is and the nature of the nearshore surf, some guys might need some extra time and space to get off the beach if they aren't used to these conditions.

btw, just checked tides for Jupiter on Sunday, High at 8:04 am Low at 1:51 pm. Aside from narrowing the launch area a bit it should work out better for easing nearshore waves, maybe, and reducing the odds of guys getting vacuumed into inlets, ouch!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 PM

Rick,

I agree. I am actually in favor of a total water start between a staff on the beach and a mark offshore, just like most sailing or windsurfing races. I belive that this gives the fairest start opportunity as well as a very visual start. I think that Neil is worried about recalling riders in the event that there is a mass of riders starting early or something similar. I really don't see this as a problem as there are sailing provisions for this, but I also want this to be as easy for Neil as possible.

I just got off the phone with Neil and we discussed making the water portion of the starting line a transit line between 2 staffs on the beach. Line them up from the water side and go. If we make the transit line run a bit NE instead of East, this will eliminate the benefit of starting way off shore. Thoughts?

I just don't know if they have a jet ski available. If so, it would just be a matter of placing a staff on the beach with a flag atop and a medium sized marker in the water with chain and an anchor.

I am only providing suggestions as this is Neil's baby. I am sure however that he is looking at a varitey of ideas and that input is appreciated. In any case, this will be another great XRATED event!

Kent
Old 12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds good. In the captains briefing caution guys about starting far enough north to get out without heading too far south initially.

How about using some aerial signal flares for the start, say two red star flares plus horns to eliminate any confusion? Say fired at a shallow angle to seaward, no parachutes and slightly to the south to avoid kite or brush fires! The audible ones haven't always been that reliable in my experience for alerting so many kiters over a large area.

Absolutely, one more excellent XRATED KITEBOARDING experience coming online soon. Thanks gain Neil!

Last edited by ricki; 12-06-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:38 PM

Hey this will be My first Downwinder Race from Jupiter to the Fort...So like We did on the Crossing over to the Bahamas, We had a way make to Our Cars, after the Crossing, the Boat ride back.....So after you leave from Jupiter, and the Race is over, how am I getting back to My Car in Jupiter, if I am coming down by Myself to Race...Is there going to be a Shuttle back to Jupiter...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Thumbs up

Great Ideas Guys!!!
A skewed line properly set up should allow plenty of room for everyone. I know that a bunch of kites stuck up in the shorebreak (at high tide) trying to get out is a safety issue. Having the ability to spread out and space away from each other without pin or beach being overly advantaged would help ALL in getting away safely. I mean, this is a 60 mile race and being right on the line is not EVERYTHING like in a typical closed course race. We are going downwind or beam reach so...its not that huge. Getting everyone over the line without having guys get tangled up on the shore...well that seems huge. ...after 60 miles it will be skill/endurance/board/kite/combo that determine winner.....not necessarily the best start....bad press from a kite crash/tangle/mess right on the beach is something that needs to be avoided at all costs. I like idea of giving option to get off beach for start is a really good one....or the double option mentioned in your previous post.

I dropped off my entry fee to Neil today and he is smiling big. Beautiful day without any wind but positive energy going forward!! Awesome to have Neil organize this event!!! You can learn a lot at Tiki Beach even when there is no wind.....right Jay D? Awesome sport we got!! Need more representation in the old man category!! Common!!! race!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Last year it was left to the racers to arrange for the return to Jupiter by land from Ft. Lauderdale among themselves. If people can carry an extra rider or two in your ride back to Jupiter please spread the word at the party on Saturday and before things get going on Sunday.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Rick,

As you mentioned earler, I too think that this east wind will make the run much faster even if the conditions are a bit less. I also think that more people will be able to complete the race. Going totally down wind is odd for most, but reaching is what they are used to.

Your point is well taken that at least for the start it is very important that riders are able to stay well off the beach to avoid the pier and inlets. Even in an east wind, most riders will be able to make good head way to windward going south. The problems arrise if the waves are large and inexperience riders have to "run" toward shore a few times to avoid breaking waves. In all however I do also feel that an east wind will be good for the event and allow all to finish well and stay safe, especially if we can organize at least a large portion of the riders to start offshore.

Neil,

How many riders are you up to? I just got off the phone with our dealer in Cape Cod and he is sending his shop ringer down for the event. Killer!

Kent
Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, I am looking forward to doing the run on an east wind. We'll see how it goes. I was thinking that guys will have to focus on making to windward or offshore to allow adequate leeway around piers and inlets. Hopefully, we should be able to clear the Juno pier easily enough before we come up on it but if guys aren't trying to work offshore, maybe not. Then they'll have to ride back northward to tack further east. I think a few guys even had to do this last year with a more favorable wind. Once you are out of the nearshore break this should be easier. Then again we hit some bars at quite a few points along the run last year that setup waves further from shore at points. We should try to stay at least 300 ft. from piers to avoid legal hassles also some of those buggers have special "kiter hook rigs." They try to hook us and have in the past quite a few times that I have heard about.

The seas are forecast to be 2 to 4 ft. and a bit larger further offshore. Quite a bit mellower than the 15 ft. seas of the pre-race or 9 ft. of the actual race last year. It was interesting to see the waves smooth out the further south we went. In effect things became easier the more ground we covered. Waves may be even less of an issue this year by the forecast.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here's the latest from Neil:

"OK guys, this is the 72hr notice for Sunday at 9am in Jupiter. So far the forcast has not settled or become consistant yet. At this time this is what it is saying:
NOAA East at 20
Windguru East at 15-20
Wetsands East at 12-18
Remember we need a minimum of 15 knots, not 15 dropping to 11 but 15 with higher gusts.
Keep your eyes on your e-mails for updates I will be posting start sequences, rules and so on.
Also remember You must have paid the entrance fee and signed the waiver By Saturday evening to be included in the race.
Updates coming soon. Cheers Neil"

Fingers crossed, hope the wind comes as predicted!