FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-18-2006, 10:14 AM
E-Bone

OK, I sent a private message to David. Thanks for the encouragement, Paul. If you don't have any brains, then neither do I.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:43 AM

Bone, you are hooked up. Ignore any confusing emails the sysetem may have generated - I botched the upgrade a couple times.

That puts us at 14. Thanks guys.

David
Old 05-18-2006, 11:35 AM

I also signed up as a free member in the past.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:49 PM
tomstock

Didn't extreme kites also donate some money for the sensor?

I think last round we were told we needed 8 (or 12) signups for a sensor. We beat by also getting a local shop donate. I know for a fact ikite also lost a few paid members when the last sensor promise turned to dust.

Are you guys going to do it or should we pay some other company to install one for us and feed our own sensor website? A few of us are software and hardware engineers so we could do it, but we're kind of waiting around to see if you guys would come through.

Considering the number of students who complete lessons every month I can't believe you guys are stalling!

-tom
Old 05-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Can't Re-member

Tom ,

I believe they said they are looking for a good spot to put the sensor at and that will also let them place/ maintain/ access it there
Old 05-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Skyway Scott

I understand Tom and others frustration/suspicion.

I do know that David (and Chili) put in ALOT of effort to try to get us a sensor at: The redington long pier -- (Tony Bolgna screwed 'em).

Fort DeSoto -- (initial high hopes were left to fall by the wayside.. by the park).

Ikite tried. Sounds like they are ready for round 2. Thing is, we have zero to lose. THEY have alot of time and energy to lose on what might appear to them to be a "tough town" with disinterested kiters and whacked pier owners :?

It'd be great if alot of us just fill out the free form and show interest. It's kind of like a petition with a perk, is it not?
If the stuff they put up works, great, if not, they lost time and energy, while we wasted only 3 minutes filling out a form.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM

I've been signed up for a whileeeeeee

I was actually the one person who was not checking it daily. lol
Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 AM

I feel better about this now that I see that locals who have paid for years can now sign up for free. It shows effort on Ikites part. I respect your efforts and as I already said am previously signed up for the Desoto project. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help David!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. That's a good way to think of it, Scott - this is round 2. I've been doing this for 11 years - a lot of rounds in a lot of areas. So far it's not going so well in this area. But this is a process and it takes a bunch of things to fall into place - demand, permissions, resources, hard work, and support from guys like you.

Yes, 12 guys is enough commitments for a weather station (we're up to 15 now!). Yes, Extreme Kites has committed to contributing some sponsorship cash to a sensor. So, we've got some demand established, and we're ready to install a senosr or two. But it takes more than that....

We worked pretty hard last fall to make something happen. If we had permisison at Ft De Soto or Redington (or any other good spots), we'd have at least two weather stations installed already.

SO..... Tom, sorry you think we're somehow stalling. Certainly nothing's stopping you from installing your own weather station. But paying someone else to install one? Hey - if you've got a good spot already, let me know where it is and *we'll* put it up!!!!!

david
Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 AM

David,

PM Bryan Eagle. I know he used to know a woman who had a rather large house on the water who was supposedly willing to have a station put on the roof. I haven't talked to him in some time, but I know he was talking about it during *round 1*. I don't think it is a 'perfect' spot for all wind directions, but at least it would help on some of them...Hope this helps at least some.

Also, is there someone who was borderline who would maybe be willing if we all showed them our support as locals?

Thanks!