FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > Safer and Sustainable Kiting > SAFETY, WEATHER & LAUNCH SELECTION, SUSTAINABLE KITEBOARDING, FAQ'S > Chill Z0ne
Connect with Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Default Buoys are for more than just indicating swim zones

I think this is a misinterpretation at best. Buoys are for more than marking just swim zones as stated earlier by Steve-O. No racing was allowed in the swim zones and riders in the SZ were to be disqualified. The buoys that riders could be inside are not swim designation buoys, they are no power boat buoys. By your rationale surfers should also stay outside the no wake buoys??? Are we allowed to ride inside crab buoys or is that off limits as well?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Brian and others,

I have linked the Official Rules from the GCKBC website. It has not been edited and it was discussed in great detail about staying out of the SZ last Saturday. I refered all riders to read the rules before sending me their signed waiver. I also think my rules need to be ammended to say "Kites are not be flown over the shore line and maintain a 300 yard safety barrier from any swimmer or surfer, riders will be DQ'd and asked to leave the event if you are caught."

http://www.gulfcoastkiteboardchallen...docs/rules.pdf

Yes, the release that was posted on the forum should have been stated better or infact should have just refered to the website for the rules.

Brian,
I wished you would have contacted me prior to posting, I could of then edited or made the rules more clear. Feel free to call me to discuss, in case you forgot my number 727.507.1013

I love our beaches and our access to them. I will approach people that I know or don't know when I see something that could put that in jeopardy.

Thanks,
Old 03-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Default bitter people

Hey Bayflight

What is with all the hate? It appears that you are using this forum to carry out some personal vendetta that you have.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:14 PM

Talking Happy Monday!

Sun is shining, the weather is sweet
Make you want to move your dancing feet
To the rescue, here i am
Want you to know, y'all, where i stand

Maustin813
Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 PM

Bayflite

You need to get your facts straight.

"remember the 16 year old kid that zapped himself and almost broke his spine @ fred howard or honeymoon i think it was?

he bought that kite @ watersports west after admitting he had no proper lessons.
not online, right over the counter.

steve-o sold him the kite before the kid even had a clue.
then steve-o basically fingers the kid as the one to blame.
irresponsible at best.
negligent at worst.
your post after the incident was quite telling."

Your attacks towards me are bordering slander and I will take legal action if need be. We can argue about buoys till the cows come home, but as soon as you jeapordize my ability to make a living with false facts, expect a battle. I will be contacting my lawyer today. It will be easy as it is a family member. Nothing like some free consultation to deal with this.

The kid that got in the accident has a family that has been long time customers of the shop. They are good people and love the water. They live 5 minutes up the road. This same kid saved all his money to buy these kites before his annual summer trip up to the great lake. It was something that was in the works for years.

This wasn't just some random kid that walked in the shop, we sold him kites and we told him to go have fun. Are you kidding me? Do you really think that is what we do here? Is it possible we have had no access shut down in our area actually due to our leadership role that we have taken? Is it possible that we chase people out all the time that want to buy kites without lessons? I have said this before...call the shop and try a buy a kite. Tell us you live here and you don't plan to take lessons. See what you can buy?

For the record, John knows the family very well, and as been friends with the family for years.

His mom and him came to shop on there way to the Great Lakes for the summer. He was enrolled in a 2 week summer camp with Bronea Kiteboarding. A highly respected kiteboarding school. 2 weeks of lessons "bro". Then he rode up there all summer long almost every day. We agreed at the shop that he wasn't to use the kites until the lessons were complete and mom was in total agreement. That's how we do it here. Whatever you have fabricated in your mind, is simply false and again, bordering slander.

He came back at the end of that summer tearing it up. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some more facts, he was at the Dunedin Causeway upwind of powerlines. How is it my fault that he showed poor judgement that we all feel aweful for? I even made the offer to the kid to call me upon his return home and I would show him some spots. He didn't take me up on it. A simple call to the shop to find out where a good place to ride that day would have avoided the disaster all together. See that's the beauty of a shop. We pick up the phone 6 days a week and answer any questions you might have. We will spend the time with you and warn you as well. The family continues to shop here, and I am proud to say the John and I personally took him back out on the water after a long recovery. The look on that kids face was incredible. It's unfortunate that you don't get to see that side of what we do. You just state useless facts, and bring others brothers down.

Talk to any of my students and they will tell you that their safety is my #1 priority. We have chased plenty of people out of the shop wanting to buy kites without lessons.

In addition I have invested $6000 of my own personal money towards a jetski in order to provide safer lessons for my students. I now have the ability to chase them down, stay right with them, and get them away from crowded riding spots. Who else in the area has made this kind of dedication to their students and to the sport?

You attack me brother, expect a fight. You are messing with my livelyhood and that is crossing the line. Your comments have nothing to do with the race but how I run business and instruct on the water.

Regarding the race, to all that have made comments, this is the first race that I have been a part of from an administration side. I made sure that respect would be given to the SZ. I even wanted to get it in writing. I have been to past races and I don't recall anything being said about SZ. That is one of the reasons I wanted to get involved. I wanted to make a better race . I recall Scott's comments last year about the SZ and wanted to incorporate them into the rules.

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-15-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Default Quit

As a beginner who doesn't know most of you it is disheartening to see this, doesn't make me jones for the karma on the beach. Bayflite the attack from an ignorant observer
's viewpoint(mine) was harsh and you got called out for it. Probably could have been done in a more effective way, Steve-o I have met you once and you were helpful and nice but you are attacking in a childish way, and not much different, everybody chill for a day, you probably agree more than you realize we all want the same shit. Peace and I wish the posts asking for help got this much attention and energy. I hope I can chill with all of you after a great session and buy you both a beer but w less staging than Obama at the white house. Sorry just felt someone should try and stop the shit.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Pasco,

Totally agree. And I went back after I cooled down and took some harsh things that I said out of my original post. It was childish and stooped to Brian's level.

I think we do all want the same thing ironically enough, it's just funny how we can get caught up in the wording of it all.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Can't Re-member

Please Steve , Bryan and anybody else that wants to name call or point fingers.

No more drama on here please.......keep it Kumbaya

Please use the phone to communicate respectfully with each other instead of letting us partake ,

Call me , call each other, but don't RePeat what we have gone thru in the past so many times, i'm closing this
813 786 2041 Raul
Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Default @ Bayflite

"i hope my friends billy, mike , matt, alex, and all the other st pete shredderz agree that the most important thing is to continue to lead by example."

bryan

Funny how you are eager to name drop and associate yourself as being along the same caliber of rider/person "shredder".. I personally know that they would never come on the forum and act out as you did..with the name calling and huge ego...why don't you take your own advice and lead and "BE" a good example... One has to wonder what your true intentions were from your post...preserving beach access is a serious reason to have concerns, but you went about it all wrong.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Can't Re-member

This is not productive
Closed Thread