FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-21-2006, 12:27 PM

Well please enlighten me of what to look for Scott!!! I would love to know what to look for so I quit getting skunked!!! :x Yesterday it was blowing pretty good at the backside of the skyway but I did not feel comfortable rigging until there were others there (and launching well out in the water) so I waited until Jayson showed up...got skunked as my kite just fell out of the sky...g/f is very kindly purchasing a used 25.5 Machine for me though so I should be all set going forward as long as someone on the beach farts!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Skyway Scott

I actually wrote the whole "formula" out on the old forum. It took me about a half hour to write, not gonna do it again, sorry.
Tom and I were going to use it to have a seabreeze prediction section on the old site.
One key is that you can't be at work til 5, so it probably wouldn't help you out too much ops:
Hint, for the next month Ruskin/Appollo beach have greater odds and it can really kick over there. Most people don't want to drive that far and aren't aware of this (thank goodness, right Raul?!)
Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Can't Re-member

I shouldn't respond for fear of giving away all my secrets/ spots, but yeah you're right Scott. Clear skies is the key, usually between 4-6pm it'll crank to 18kts SW going to W then NW by sundown.

really only three places to launch ( unless you have a boat on a lift! )

When skies are clear and you see Big Ben leaning over you will know
Old 04-22-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Do you frequently have fairly solid sea breezes over there in May, June, etc. in Tampa? I went out for my first wind lemon run last night off of Delray. It WAS a solid 12 to 13.5 mph but soon lulled to 8 mph with whimpy puffs up. Summer in Florida (SE Florida?)!

We do get sea breezes in the higher teen mph but are rare in most years. I am wondering if useable sea breezes may be more common over your way?
rick
we have a strange coastline...we r starting2 figure out how2 sqeeze out every little bit of power(i.e. opposing current on the correct side of the passes...ect)

4me succes in the summertime has been the evening cool downs on the bayside...
it lasts longer, the water is definately more flat at night, also...no sunburn 8)

i aint sayin the urge2 race through traffic2 catch the the end of the seabreez doesn't hit me once in a while...but work usually gets in the way.

the nightime easterlies r fairly predictable...i look at doppler and see the tell-tale line of storms moving accross the FL penninsula ESE to WNW and for some reason 80% of time,when the line of storms reaches ruskin/tampa bay they disapate or dissapear...
leaving 90 minutes of usable wind :?:<<<<BIG R?

we've been told by the nomads that your seabreezes are more reliable due2 colder water...but pinellas county is the Japan of florida...(most densly populated county)and they keep sqeezin more in like sardines.
all the parking lots, roofs, roads, road ragers :twisted: ect. produce lotsa heat so maybe that makes up4 the lack of cold water.
or not...but definatley one of the two.
L8r
Old 04-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Can't Re-member

I think summertime U have more success on the bayside as well especially for east winds @ lassing, for sure May + June west winds are good on the other side of the bay. Prolly 'cause the water is still cool but the land really heats up. Summertime has colliding east and west coast seabreezes right over the ruskin area which has the potential to create wicked T-storms at times :shock: .
Later in the early evening the seabreezes stop colliding and the t storms dissappear.
Anyways, I think we have the formula for summer east winds nailed most of the time. Also, May June west winds are pretty predictable as well. Skyway sensor and manatee sensor are good predictors since the breeze hits them first and if anything gets stronger just before it hits the west side