FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Stuff for sale, Promotions, Demos, Etc. ...
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 PM

Default Why Kitesurfing is mirroring our Economy

The single largest barrier to kitesurfing growing into a world sport is COST. Why is it important that kitesurfing grows into a respectable world sport? Growth= interest, technology, money, improvements, safer gear, competition, and drives cost down.

This is why I started KiteGrab

The vision of KiteGrab- To become the match.com of kitesurfing gear.

Lets start this movement. All FKA members get free featured ads. This means NO COST at all to post anything. Use the Coupon code: SpikeSpecial1

Thanks for your time. Pray for wind!

Spike
Kitegrab.com
Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 PM

Buying used gear is a great way to save money, but like anything else doesn't come without risk. Leaky bladders, worn out canopies and bars, outdated safety systems, and the list goes on and on.

What may seem like a deal now, could be a nightmare later. If you are going to buy a used kite sight unseen, make sure you have an option to return once you have inspected it. If that option is not available, I wouldn't touch a used kite with a 22M line.

It's also scary that some new folks to the sport want to get in cheap. This usually means skipping lessons are taking just enough lessons to really make oneself dangerous. Since you saved money on your kite, invest in a full lesson program. Keep yourself and everyone around you safe. Access to kiting is everyone's responsibility new and old. Don't be the person to get a spot shut down or find yourself in a liability lawsuit over lack of lessons.

My2Cents

Steve-O

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-17-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM

Steve-O,

I appreciate you taking the time to post a reply with valid information with your great amount of experience in this sport. Criticism is always taken well and I appreciate your insight.

I am in the process of posting a buyer/seller agreement (after the lawyers validate the legal side) which will allow for such a 'return to seller' for a full refund if the used gear was not what was agreed upon.

We also have in place a user rating where reputations can help guide the way to a good purchase as well as encourage thorough communication between buyer and seller to ensure enough pictures and data is sent.

Its not that some people 'want to get in cheap'. Its that most CANT afford to participate in a sport they have always wanted to do. The only way to achieve this entry, short of the manufacturers reducing the price point, is to settle for used gear, much how I had to settle for that pair of secondhand hockey skates I got for Christmas when I was 10. I believe that this fantastic sport should be available to anyone, not just those who can afford to spend upwards of $2000 dollars on gear.

Lastly and most importantly, I could not agree with you more on the importance of lessons! First a potential kiteboarder should take the appropriate safety lessons--ONLY then should they make the decision to buy NEW or USED gear.

Thanks again for your time!

Spike
KiteGrab.com

Tags
kite, kiteboarding gear, used gear