FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-31-2008, 09:02 AM

Default Florida Trip!

Hello all,

I'm coming done to Fort Lauderdale area 8/28/2008-9/02/2008. We are actually staying in Lauderdale by the Sea (north of the city). I came out last year as well and kited right in front of our hotel. I'm hoping to do the same this year! Our hotel is just north of that huge fishing pier. Last year it was at the beginning of November; I've heard wind is not so good in August, but hopefully I'll be able to get a couple days in. I've got a 13m and a 9m, plan on bringing both in case but last year only used the 13.

Anyway, posting here to hopefully meet up with some local kiters. I also have a work trip to California, so my goal is to kite in the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Lake Huron in MI, and Lake St. Clair in MI all in the same month (August)...

Later,
Nick
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Rick,

I talked to you last year about this trip and it was very helpful. I think you were traveling then. From your how's the wind posts, sounds like you are in the area. Should I try to drive up to Delray or just go in front of my hotel again?

Later,
Nick

p.s. Last year there were others kiters there as well, some school with a banner they put up; however, they were pretty reckless by launching near beach goers and riding between swimmers. Kind of surprized me...I would have sent this via pm, but don't have enough posts...
Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP View Post
I would have sent this via pm, but don't have enough posts...
Well come to this site more often and post up

RickI would have normally answered by now I'd say, So perhaps he's out on assignment somewhere theres WIND

As for your stay here in last Aug into early Sept, Thats a decent time of the year for Hurricane/TS develpoment which can produce some good days. But for the most part, That time of year doesn't produce much in the way of rideable winds.

Although you/we could get lucky~

As for kiting behind your hotel or driving up to Delray, Totally your call. The winds are usally the same between here and there.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Rick,

I talked to you last year about this trip and it was very helpful. I think you were traveling then. From your how's the wind posts, sounds like you are in the area. Should I try to drive up to Delray or just go in front of my hotel again?

Later,
Nick

p.s. Last year there were others kiters there as well, some school with a banner they put up; however, they were pretty reckless by launching near beach goers and riding between swimmers. Kind of surprized me...I would have sent this via pm, but don't have enough posts...

Hello Nick,

I was tied up with a free diving course, more at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6950

Anyway, your prospects for useable wind are much better in November as a rule than late August. If you can bring both sized kites I would say to do so. You may not have enough wind for either one, then again you never know.

I am disturbed to hear your report about the school. Doesn't sound very good at all. Best policy in LBTS is to stay well away from bystanders and bathers, regardless of what you see the school doing. If such behavior is continued it will likely see them thrown out of the area. If you have clear areas near your hotel, best to launch and get out past 100 yards from shore and stay out until time to come in. As Mike was saying there is usually little difference in the wind between LBTS and Delray. The only exceptions are localized thermal winds and areas outside the influence of squall clouds.

Have a good trip, hope you luck out with some useable wind.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Hello Nick,

I am disturbed to hear your report about the school. Doesn't sound very good at all. Best policy in LBTS is to stay well away from bystanders and bathers, regardless of what you see the school doing. If such behavior is continued it will likely see them thrown out of the area. If you have clear areas near your hotel, best to launch and get out past 100 yards from shore and stay out until time to come in.
The school was out last 11/2007, and don't worry I did not follow their example, I was very surprized they did that. I walked way up the beach away from all the sun bathers/bystanders to launch and immediately body dragged out past 100 yards and rode. Body dragged back in at same spot. This is pretty normal kiting behavior at almost every spot I've been too...

Will there typically be more kiters at Delray or LBTS?

I am always extra careful when coming to a new area; I know locals are always worried about visitors, so I try to be extra careful and set a good example.

I'm on a work related trip right now across the country (with a little kiting on the side), just went through OK, stopped by a local lake there, Foss lake. Unfortunately it was a little lite, but I put up my kite anyway incase there was some wind higher up and because I was there. I was able to plane out and ride a little just to say I did...looks like a great spot for an inland lake...

I'm in Phoenix now, planning to drive out to Rocky Point Mexico Sat and Sun, then I'm off to L.A. to try my luck on the Pacific...Monday...then, back to Michigan when I have Tuesday off, to search for some local winds...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
The school was out last 11/2007, and don't worry I did not follow their example, I was very surprized they did that. I walked way up the beach away from all the sun bathers/bystanders to launch and immediately body dragged out past 100 yards and rode. Body dragged back in at same spot. This is pretty normal kiting behavior at almost every spot I've been too...

Will there typically be more kiters at Delray or LBTS?

I am always extra careful when coming to a new area; I know locals are always worried about visitors, so I try to be extra careful and set a good example.

I'm on a work related trip right now across the country (with a little kiting on the side), just went through OK, stopped by a local lake there, Foss lake. Unfortunately it was a little lite, but I put up my kite anyway incase there was some wind higher up and because I was there. I was able to plane out and ride a little just to say I did...looks like a great spot for an inland lake...

I'm in Phoenix now, planning to drive out to Rocky Point Mexico Sat and Sun, then I'm off to L.A. to try my luck on the Pacific...Monday...then, back to Michigan when I have Tuesday off, to search for some local winds...
I am not surprised that you didn't copy the schools example, sound too sensible for that. And am gratified that you normally encounter more responsible behavior in other areas. It is a very good policy to scope out new launches before rigging up and going. You will likely find more kiters off South Delray than LBTS if there is good wind. I probably mentioned avoiding the area near the pier in LBTS last year, a touchy area with the township due to past rider problems.

Wow, you cover a lot of ground. Hope you find some good wind sessions somewhere! I've not had a kite up for over a month, I think. Still, it's OK as I wasn't really expecting to be able to. I've even missed a number of rideable sessions. Looking forward to the return of frontal season though.

Have fun

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Rocky Point Mexico Sat and Sun

Have fun out there!

At least you'll enjoy the seafood there if there's no wind.

if there is wind the place to go to is all the way to the west end of town then keep going till you get to La Cholla, where the coast bends north.
the tides are freaking wild crazy over there. in or out over a mile so don't leave anything in low water, you'll never see it again when the tide rises
Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 AM

I did get to ride two days at Rocky Point, awesome spot, as well as Leo Carillo...

So far in August, I have ridden:

Lake St. Clair MI, Metro Beach
Lake St. Clair MI, Blue Lagoon Marina
Foss Lake OK, sort of, just planed out, but I'm counting it...
Sea of Cortez Mexico, Rocky Point
Pacific Ocean CA, Leo Carillo
Lake Huron MI, Tawas City

Hoping to at the Atlantic this weekend...

This Friday is looking good...what is the best place to check for wind in Lauderdale by the Sea?

I was looking at sailflow Dania Pier...there is one for Fort Lauderdale, but it looks inland.

Also, does forecast usually hold? In MI it is total garbage. Only created to get your hopes up, only to crush you after you take the day off and waste it waiting for the wind...
Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 AM

A tip for the Lake St. Clair area which could be questionable in August. If you don't have good wind in that area head up to East Tawas, Michigan, the best secret of the Great Lakes crew. It thermals there almost everyday, and you can ride almost every wind direction. Head out to the end of the point and you are with only kiters, the beachgoers usually stay near the parking lot. Have a good one!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Can't Re-member

Default depends on gustav

It all depends on if gustav veers a little more to the north, unlikely tho'.
More likely you'll get some swell and nice long period waves esp. a bit more to the north from the storms.
I don't know if the dania or ft. laud sensors are spot accurate but they should be good enough for indicating if you have any breeze worth going out in at all.
Amazing you got wind in RP this time of year, I would've thought it was just WAY TOO HOT right now. I've only kited there winter and spring with pretty consistent winds

COASTAL WATERS FROM DEERFIELD BEACH TO OCEAN REEF, FL OUT 20 NM-
WATERS FROM DEERFIELD BEACH TO OCEAN REEF, FL EXTENDING FROM 20 NM
TO THE TERRITORIAL WATERS OF THE BAHAMAS-
356 AM EDT TUE AUG 26 2008

TODAY
SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. WINDS AND SEAS HIGHER IN SCATTERED
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

TONIGHT
EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

WEDNESDAY
THUNDERSTORMS.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
THUNDERSTORMS.

THURSDAY
EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING 10 TO 15 KNOTS IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.
ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

THURSDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS
NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO
4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.