FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

View Poll Results: do you think it would work????
looks awsome for wave riding 2 15.38%
nahh, it wouldnt work because.... 6 46.15%
umm..... i have no idea.....i just wanted to vote 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
popeye

Have you called extreme kites? Since they are on the east coast, regularly surf waves, and are usually brutally honest about what they sell (if something sucks they may even refuse to sell it to you unless you beg and pleade), I would definately give them a call and ask to talk to the big D.

Honestly, I really don't think you are going to want to ride any form of surfboard in flat water, so don't bother with a psuedo surfboard because it might do a little of everything but it will do nothing very well.

If you really want the feeling of surfing, get a real surfboard or kite-surfboard (small, with staps if you want). Otherwise you are not really surfing... or at least not for more than a second or two as you briefly slide down the face on a high dollar skimboard.

No point in asking here since only a handful of riders here truly kite surf or even ride in the gulf regularly for that matter. Call someone on the east coast!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson View Post
Whatever, you can pay $300 for your board and possibly be sorry or pay a few hundred more and be 100% sure that you will have a board that performs great in the waves and chop. Also, you may want to demo one before you make the statement that you can't ride a wave on it...and there is never zero pull from the kite if you are flying one...I like the $550...and the peace of mind of knowing that you are getting something that gives a superior ride...you get what you pay for my friend!
actually if you ride directly at the kite at the same speed as the is blowing the kite, then there is about 0 pull from it...

im sure the mako rides waves well, but i want a board with enough volume/size to actually surf the wave, not kite it...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
actually if you ride directly at the kite at the same speed as the is blowing the kite, then there is about 0 pull from it...
You can't . The kite will fall straight out of the sky if you try and ride directly at it.

True wave Riding can easily be accomplished with pull from the kite , albeit the process is easier in side-off conditions like on the US west coast than in onshore like over here

Your best compromise will be a small surfboard like ride and sideshore conditions like the east coast on a N wind >>>>> The boards they ride in the waves over there ARE 5'5" size small surfboards
Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Inferno, FYI a few guys down here ride Naish Floater TT in the surf. its got volume and fat surfboard-like rails.

BigR's right, i recently was at Jetty Park in cocoa. Winds dead-onshore west at 15-20mph . Id catch a wave and kite fall out of the sky unless i did cut-back...looping kite would help but i need more practice looping. i was using my 5'10" twinzer custom w/strapped front foot and my GK Sonic 11m(not a great kite for waves IMO) i much rather ride sideshores and ride waves downwind/get a ride back up....that way my kite stays moving and powered while riding the wave.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Yes you do ride straight at your kite while wave ridding. But there is no secret on how you keep your kite in the sky or whatever its called looping. While you are ridding a wave you are constantly looping and moving your kite. How do you think you shoot down the line or make your turns on the face. Danny as far as a board goes get a 5'5'' surftech xanadu and the nsi pads with inserts. I would ride it strapless most of the time though. Especially for any swell we get here, the waves are not big enough to put straps on the board.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Yes you do ride straight at your kite while wave ridding. But there is no secret on how you keep your kite in the sky or whatever its called looping.
Of course thats how you keep your kite in the air, BUT, thats not what Danny said he wants to do. He said he wants to keep the kite static so that he could ride straight at the kite with no pull from it.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:37 PM

I've done quite a bit of wakesurfing can assure you that you can ride even the small boards on knee high boat wakes with no pull what so ever. With a decent wake you can throw the handle back in the boat and just surf endlessly. Tip: don't try this with an outboard or I/O!

I've only had a couple opportunities to ride wakesurf boards behind a kite and not in waves yet. They're usually pretty flat and wide and work well for extremely light wind. I'm sure you could ride in really light wind on some small waves but would have to keep the kite moving as someone mentioned, probably not so much with more wind.

The most fun wakesurf boards seem to be the ones that are similar to skim boards but have fins. If you think about it... the main reason surf boards are so big is to make catching waves easier. If you watch a good skimmer once they get to the wave it's no problem riding it, just like wakesurfing behind a boat. Your kite can get you to the wave, then it's just a matter of keeping it from falling.

There's a couple true twin tip wakesurf boards out there that I think would work great, that way you don't have to do any shove-its, jibes, etc. Actually, I have a wood one I'm waiting to try on a light wind down winder when there's not enough to bother doing any jumps.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 PM

My bad.
I just assumed you wanted to enjoy the gulf on a NW more.
IMO the gulf is such a maytag most of the time.
The waves appear and break so fast...I can't imagine you achieving your goalz in the gulf.
Good luck.
BTW...demoing the Mako's are FREE!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Infierno, I have one and it not good for waves. It perfect for light wind flat water but to flat for waves. Works great behind a baot with a big wak. If you really want to "ride" waves, buy a old surfoard, if you want to kite in the waves, a good twin tip will do jus fine. Waves are the best either way.

Paz
Jaime
Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Demo the Mako Danny. You won't be disappointed...

It's free, why not try mine or Bayflite's demo? If you try one, you'll want one. Just ask "Big Air Al" Lindsey. He rode mine for a few tacks in the chop and waves at North Beach and was HOOKED!!! He ordered one a couple of days later from what I hear...