FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 AM

Cool

If the red (watch out) wristband idea is to be used, here's a few thoughts. instead of explaining to the new riders that they are dangerous, spin it into a positive thing and tell them that their color signifies a new rider who can be monitored by experienced riders in case they get into trouble. For those that say "i'm fine" or whatever, then we can take a bit harsher tone and explain that in order to keep our awesome launches, the local community has agreed upon these rules (on board) and if you choose not to comply, find another launch (very nicely and using better verbage of course).

FYI. i looked into the promotions catalog that i have and there are four things that stood out.

1. the lance armstrong type bracelet : 99 cents per bracelet but a minimum of 300...i'm sure we could get them in a smaller quantity somewhere else, but this is a good reference. they come in many colors including glow in the dark (hello night ride!!!) and rainbow for e-bone.

2. The party bracelets that we have all worn to get into bars, clubs, etc. They are disposable so people won't have to remember to bring them and they come to 28 cents a piece for 500. 15 colors to choose from.

3. neoprene wrist bands (reusable obviously) at 1.60/bracelet with a minimum of 100. this one comes in hot pink for ebone and chamo for roy (to go with the rest of his gear of course)

4. They make plastic luggage tags that are colored that can easily be put onto the back of someone's harness (or somewhere out of the way) they range from 1.38/piece for 250 to more simple ones for 79 cents for 250. They both are about the size of a standard business card and come with a rubber strap to attach to you, your luggage, etc.

If anyone has other ideas for identification of riders (the luggage tag could be really great because you could put your name and emergency contact right in there (where you'd put your name on an airplane).

I'm 100% in agreement about the signs. I think that as the season progresses we will be running into trouble and may need to implement the next step in the action plan which would be the braclets, tags, etc. and it would be nice to already have a product picked out instead of rushing around looking for a piece of duct tape to strap to my forehead saying i'm a yellow.

As a former certified watersports instructor (still certified by the way but OBVIOUSLY not for kiting i think that the instructors working together can bring so much to this sport/community. I am really looking forward to the things they come up with and their dedication to safe and happy riding. High five to the instructors that are comitted to this.