FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpetesal View Post
If anyone would like to take the time out to do more research then please do so, I can get a ride
Scott, if you can brief me on exactly how things were left with Shirley I will pick up the ball and see what can be done. Now that the issue has been brought to them it's better to follow thru in a somewhat organized manner, so they don't base any final decisions on the perception that this was an isolated or whimsical call from a single kiter.

I just don't want to call her out of the blue and break the continuity. Even if you can introduce me/or tell her I will call. But keep in mind these people are probably busy and don't want to be bothered with the same questions and inquiries over and over from different people, when we could show some group interest.

I think there are plenty of good arguments (aside from our own self-interests) for us to ride the bus which include:

- good use of taxpayer resources - better than seeing half empty buses driving around
- increase ridership for their system, good for their stats
- saves energy and emissions for us to drive vehicles back and forth
- demonstrates the diversity of the transit system and reasonable access to all who want to support mass transit.

If anybody has other thoughts and ideas please share them. There must be more than 4 or 5 people who have enjoyed this over the years. This is one of the unique features of living/riding at our Gulf beach's. It would be a shame to lose the privilege.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 PM
stpetesal

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertovillate View Post
Scott, if you can brief me on exactly how things were left with Shirley I will pick up the ball and see what can be done. Now that the issue has been brought to them it's better to follow thru in a somewhat organized manner, so they don't base any final decisions on the perception that this was an isolated or whimsical call from a single kiter.

I just don't want to call her out of the blue and break the continuity. Even if you can introduce me/or tell her I will call. But keep in mind these people are probably busy and don't want to be bothered with the same questions and inquiries over and over from different people, when we could show some group interest.

I think there are plenty of good arguments (aside from our own self-interests) for us to ride the bus which include:

- good use of taxpayer resources - better than seeing half empty buses driving around
- increase ridership for their system, good for their stats
- saves energy and emissions for us to drive vehicles back and forth
- demonstrates the diversity of the transit system and reasonable access to all who want to support mass transit.

If anybody has other thoughts and ideas please share them. There must be more than 4 or 5 people who have enjoyed this over the years. This is one of the unique features of living/riding at our Gulf beach's. It would be a shame to lose the privilege.
Very short with Shirley, she has nothing to do with making the decision on what can and cannot go on the trolly saftey wise, she is the manager of the drivers. Mike Gloss (not 100%of the spelling of last name) is the Saftey director and I am sure if you would like to call Shirley at the number I provided, she would be glad to get you intouch with Mike, he was very nice on the phone. From what Mike said there is no way we will lose the privilege of useing the trolley, just may be a size on the board, may be that they will not allow 8ft boards, I have no idea, anyone is free to call him. I am sure they are well aware of the many benifits of keeping the trolleys as full as they can,

http://www.psta.net/beachtrolley.html, also, one being their jobs.

not saying there are not some jackass drivers by all means.

whimsical call? Keep in mind I have never got kicked off the trolley, if I had and was that concerned I would have done my own research as to why one driver would let me on and another would not, being that I live 1.5 miles from TI and was born and raised here,and plan on using it much more than I have, I wanted to get the facts for myself. I am in no way a great kitesufer,, just have fun with friends.

Last edited by stpetesal; 02-11-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertovillate View Post
the perception that this was an isolated or whimsical call from a single kiter.
my point is that it was NOT a whimsical call...anyway,

I'll give Shirley a call tomorrow and see if I can provide any info they may want and a reasonable viewpoint for all those interested.

I've already spoken to another kiter who used the trolley today, with a surfboard. He actually called Shirley in advance of his DW and checked with her. She told him that if he encountered trouble boarding that he should instruct the driver to radio her for authorization. That's very encouraging - for now. But hopefully we can get it past the point where even that type of encounter is necessary. It would be really nice if we can just plan on getting on the bus without a hassle, every time - any time.
rvillate@msn.com
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimog Bob View Post
Don't mean to stir this up... just find it funny. :-)

Last time I was told "no" I was with 2 other guys. I did ask the driver to call her boss and check. She said she would, picked up the on board phone, seemed like she was calling, then literally slammed the door closed on myself and the two other guys faces and drove off - before getting a response or saying a word to us. She barely missed running over my foot.
It was lame how she did it and left us hanging there.

So, asking for a call once denied may not work.
I think that what could make a difference is being able to say "call Shirley"***, which now might carry a little more clout (?)...or they just tell the drivers in general that we are allowed as a group and reduce it to a much less frequent conflict. I'm hoping that with a little effort we can remove the ambiguity amongst the drivers.

I'm actually thinking of keeping Shirleys number with me just in case, even if she tells me tomorrow that we'll never be denied. Damn, I'll even have her name and number tatooed to my ass if that seals the deal
rvillate@msn.com
Old 02-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Default 11 Feb Update

I spoke with Shirley today, who said I should still speak with Mike Gloss - the safety director. I left a message for Mike to call me and will speak or meet with him at the earliest chance possible.

Before Shirley transferred my call I asked her for an interim procedure. She said, if we have trouble boarding, have the driver call the radio room. She said as long as you can hold your board between your legs and on your lap you should be fine.

I think, for now anyway, some guidelines we might follow

- be courteous to the drivers, even if they don't let you on.
- pack your gear down as small as possible
- don't let it swing around on the bus (probably their biggest concern)
- smaller groups probably better that a huge pack of kiters
- carry coins, not wet dollar bills

I'm sure most of this sounds obvious, but the more acceptable our behaviour/conduct/attitude seems at first the better.

Let's see how it goes...and I will update on any further contact with PSTA.

Again, if anybody has constructive input- now would be a good time.

Thanks
rvillate@msn.com
Old 02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
stpetesal

This is no big deal I know, but works well. I think I got it at a local dive shop. Change is the best for the trolley, but I myself like to bring enough cash for lunch or what ever may come about. Good to here you got to talk to Mrs.

Sounds like you want need that tattoo after all

Last edited by stpetesal; 02-12-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM

Interesting thread guys - wish I had this sweet deal near my house (other than the lousy Miami-Dade bus). What's the best launching/landing spot for a good downwinder that I can do in an hour or so and catch the trolley back to where I started?