FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Default St. Pete heads to the Keys 3/27-3/30

Hey fellas!

A couple of your northern neighbors are heading to Key West end of March. Before booking the hotel I thought I'd reach to you guys for info on the best places to stay nearest to launch sites.

Any info you could provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Bryan W.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Bryan,

Smathers Beach is pretty much it for Key West for ready shoreside launches. I would get a hold of Central Reservations down there to see what digs you can find for a reasonable rate. http://www.keywestinfo.com/ The island is small, so as long as you are driving, it really isn't critical to be near the launch area unless you really want to be. You can even get around by bike, did that myself earlier in the year.
I used to stay at Fairfield Inn for not much but times have changed (went up about $200. per night, ouch!). Prices can get downright painful in season anymore. I've found good rates at small single story hotels within a few blocks of the south of Truman around Duval. See what the Florida KB Guide has to say about rideable wind directions at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2278

The Kitehouse runs regular sea taxi out to the Key Flats rideable in winds from all directions. If you're going to drive all the way to KW, best to plan on time out in the Flats in all that butter, shallow warm water, no powerlines, smelly beach bottom, etc..

More at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=427
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5358
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4846

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-07-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Default st pete heads to the keys

Sorry can,t help you with hotels, but it is a small island and pretty easy to get around, give us a call when you guys are here and I will introduce you to some of the locals and hopefully get you guys some good kiting in.

Greg Meintjes
Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Hi Bryan,

If you are driving down, be sure to stop by Seven Kiteboarding and pick up your "Spring Break Keys Survival Kit" on the way. The survival kits will be given out for FREE throuought the month of March to traveling kiteboarders in the Keys! You can either go to the shop at mile marker 88 or vist us on the water at Whale Harbor Marina mile marker 83.8. (We just got done re-landscaping the place and it looks great! We moved 4, 30ft palm trees away from the launch

If you have the time, we'd love to catch a session with you. NE-SW you can launch right off the beach and get to the Islamorada Sandbar without a boat.

You picked a good time to come down. If we can help at all, give us a call 305-853-KITE (5483)

B-rad Lange
Seven
Ride On.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 PM

Whats up guys? I am coming down with Bryan and have been to key west twice. I love that place and can't wait to kiteboard. Whats in these spring break survival kits? Jager Bombs and condoms?

Danny
Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 AM

The kits are not finished yet...but they will have some nice little swag items, coupons etc... I'll let you know soon!

we can't get that hard core!...we can only condone a good time, not that good of a time!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:56 AM

Also checkout The Otherside Boardsports. The premier boardsports shop here in the keys. The 1st real skate shop in the keys specializing in kiteboarding, wakeboarding, wakeskating, wakesurfing, and the original guys to bring Stand-up Paddling to the upper keys. We also just got in the new '08 Slingshot Recoil Wakeboard and demos are available. Stop in and say hi!

Slingshot, Best, North, Windwing, Cabrihna, Spleene, Hyperlite, New wakeskates, Dakine, Admundson paddleboards, Jet Pilot, Anarchy, Angel, Accurate, Vew-do, Sector 9, Habitat, Toy Machine, Split, Ergophobia and many more line of gear and clothing. Also check out the new line of Nomadic "State of Mind" sandals. The most comfortable sandals to date.

oTHErside Boardsports
mm 87.7 Islamorada
(305)853-9728
Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
Also checkout The Otherside Boardsports. The premier boardsports shop here in the keys. The 1st real skate shop in the keys specializing in kiteboarding, wakeboarding, wakeskating, wakesurfing, and the original guys to bring Stand-up Paddling to the upper keys.

not sure how you guys used to do things up north...but down here in the keys, we locals give respect...

Rudy's supplied the keys with skate supplies for years...we were all really greatful for them as they were all we had...no they didn't have a huge selection, but you could go shop a deck, get some new wheels and pads and shred the park)...not cool to take that away from them now that you are a "real" skate shop. (many skaters would argue that you are not a "real" skate shop if you "specialize" all those other things...)

And...since we're keeping it real...Mike...C4 dealer has been paddling around here longer than any of us...he just doesn't want the credit because he doesn't care...he just likes to paddle...
Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 PM

One of the greatest things about this sport is the outreach and hospitality of the people involved. Thanks for all the input, can't wait to get out on the water. Tomorrow looks good for us in clearwater/st.pete, Dameon Leroy will be here demoing the new cabrinha kites and we had the tampa bay kitemasters kick off party tonight which was awesome.

I'll post some pics on here of the best spot clearwater has to offer tomorrow night. Not the keys but as close as it gets for us!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Default keywest

you guys are gonna have a blast, the beach at smathers has some great locals there and at any given time alot of sceinery.
________
lesbians Cam

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:35 PM.