FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

We've heard it from the folks that run the place, that we were on our way to being booted out of Matheson until Kent and ASM came up with this concept. A big problem at many other launches not just here is lack of support for the few simple things needed to keep us flying. ASM is spending a lot of time and money to put things together to keep us flying well into the future here. The program is new and is only getting started. Lets give them what help we can getting things going. Extra patience would be a big help and please remember the probable alternative to things would be driving somewhere else if Matheson were to be closed to kiting.

Thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just spoke to Paula. She reminded me that there is no reason necessarily to wait until the wind is on, wind lust is peaked to visit Matheson to take the exam. They have an instructor present during normal business hours at the concession, ready to administer the written exam. It doesn't take that much time. Then when the wind is on, you can focus on picking up your streamer and getting on the water without delay.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 PM

So? How did it go last week with the first wind of the new regs at Matheson?

Would be good to here from from both riders and ASM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 AM

I was there riding a lot this week. It seemed to be fine. I don't think there has been any issue with the riders at all. Everyone seems pretty stoked, including myself, not to have to navigate around 7+ instructors and students. The new teaching rules make it way better for the riders.

There was one out of town instructor who was out teaching on Saturday, but I think he was told that he can't do that anymore. I'm pretty sure this ended in a verbal altercation from his end, but I think he understands the rules now and there shouldn't be any more instances.

All in all, I would say the riding experience is vastly improved already.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Hi Trouble Shooter,

As I haven't been there personally due to travel obligations, it's hard to comment from first hand experience. I will say that thus far we have received generally good comments. Garry Menk commented that the venue already feels better and that everyone was abiding by the new guidelines.

The only thing I heard was that some inconsistent pricing was offered on kite instruction, but we will get to the bottom of this ASAP. We have a printed price list and I'm not sure what could have happened in this case. Our head instructor is out if town and this could have caused some confusion. On the other side, we need to print some more signs, etc. On one for example we have Kayaks $15, but doubles are $25. We were held to $15 on one double, but these are small issues that will work out over time.

We have offered exams and free training for those kiters on the edge of level 3. I haven't received the numbers of people that took advantage of this yet, but I'll let you know once I find out. We will no doubt go though some glitches, but I'm sure that we will be able to overcome most. On the bright side, we have had zero accidents and to my knowledge no kites in the parking lot. I can say from past experience that before the change we would have had 2-3 by this time.

I'm sure that there will be some friction after the July 1st deadline for streamers, but this is purely up to the riders. The team is available to exams, etc., so please plan accordingly. We are also hoping to get the ticket to ride program up and running by the 15th of July. I think that most are enjoying the compressor and shade so for though.

Thanks for checking in. If you personally see anything that needs to be addressed, please send an email to Kent@npusa.com. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Cool. It was just dead silent so I stoked up the discusiion. Glad to hear it is going well. We need it there and we have to make it work. Im sorry I couldnt make it to help out and enjoy the wind but I took advantage of the keys and a boat.

Hopefully we get to keep testing it out a few times over the summer with some more good wind. Now if we can just get a frozen lemonade stand that also sells chili dogs