FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM

I'll be leaving from eckerd with a crew at 10:00 on saturday, if people want to meet around 10:15-10:30ish that would be cool, if people have extra rakes it might not hurt to bring them, rusty cans and old broken bottles have burrowed down into the sand so lets try and fully overhaul it, i'll bring the garbage bags, a rake or two and the trucks to haul away the junk

hope to see you all there if not the after party at wsw should be a blast.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonKiteboarding View Post
, if people want to meet around 10:15-10:30ish that would be cool.
meet where?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 PM

Thumbs up

I guess we are talking about skyway north, right ?
Sounds good will see you guys there at 10.15
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 AM

correct
Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 PM

skyway north it is, see you there @ 10:30ish AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:12 PM

Hats off to Matt Sexton/Triton Kiteboarding and the volunteers who made this happen. The launch area was cleared of trash, glass, and hazards and we made a little progress around the mangroves, which needs about 100 volunteers, a hazmat team, and a garbage truck.
Thanks Galego for making the drive up here, next time we might have some wind for ya!
Thanks Gene W. for providing volunteers with some sweet decals.
Doin some good for da neighborhood.....
Steve (813)389-3683
Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 AM

It's amazing how much broken glass we found on Saturday among other things and yet Yesterday when I was walking I still saw a lot of sharp dangerous objects. I'm wondering if asking Pinellas County to install 3 trash cans there would help reducing all these trash in the area.

Had fun and thanks to the Triton guys for organizing the event.

See ya at the beach!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 AM

That land is controlled by the state. I have seen volunteer crews out there before cleaning the mangroves alongside state workers, and we will attack this problem again (and others) in the off season, hopefully with their support. By taking a proactive approach, it shows that we care about the beaches we use everyday, and working hand in hand with local authorities may give us a leg to stand on when facing access issues. Things like this are very important for the healthy growth of our sport, and staying in the good graces of "the powers that be" is critical. Many more community service events are in the works for the summer, if you have ideas or want to help out, please contact myself or Matt.
I would also like to note that East Beach had about 40 kiters on Sunday and lotsa spectators, and was left in great condition at the end of the day! Thanks Steve-O, Team Triton and others who double checked the beach for trash and forgotten gear. If you're the last to leave, please take the time to walk the launch area and make sure we leave it in good shape.
If you left something at the beach, check the lost and found, chances are that one of your bros is looking out for ya!
Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM

Default Thanks!

Just want to thank everyone who made it out to clean up our most used local launch. We cleared over 60 lbs of trash and that was just the tip of the iceburg as steve said. Hopefully next time we'll get full community support including gulfster and surfrider to truely make a difference. Still trying to figure someway to get a built in Air Compressor and or Live Cam Feed that might make the mangrove men think twice before tossin' their rubbers around our launches. Any idea's here would be a huge help and i'd be happy to undertake any neccesary litigation/red tape to make it happen. We need to establish our presence there and show we care about the area not just continue to let it get dumped on. Thanks again to everyone, especially gene for the kickass stickers. If anyone can imbed the photo or the link it would be appreciated it told me the file size was to big to directly attach.

-matt

Last edited by TritonKiteboarding; 02-13-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 PM

I embeded the pics for you. Great job Matt and to all those who helped!!