FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-03-2008, 06:44 AM

Default Key West Lodging?

Hi! I will be heading down to Key West for lessons at The Kite House and was wondering if anyone here could suggest a few, economic, places to stay?? Kite House website listed a couple of places and I thought for a single traveler they were a little pricey. One website wasn't pulling up.

Beaches? Which are the best kiting beaches? I haven't been to Key West since I was maybe 13 so I am really looking forward to this trip!!! Thanks heaps for the insight!!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 PM

LMS,

As for cheap accommodations, it's Key West and I'm not sure if you can find something cheap in season. Greg may be able to give some better info.

There is only 1 beach in Key West. It's called Smathers Beach and is on the SE side of the island. It is good for riding E thru SW winds. Any other direction and you will need a boat. 30 miles north is Bahia Honda State Park. It has been rated as one of the top 10 beaches in the US. Beautiful! Winds are good for the same as Smathers. All beaches face south in the keys so east wind is side-shore. At Bahia Honda, stay all the way to the left of the swim area as far as you can and stay out of the swim buoys.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 AM

Default key west lodging

The beaches are as Noel describes, as far as accomadation goes I can only suggest the information centers down here.I will be meeting with a person soon who is planning on opening a hotel aimed at attracting kiteboarders in the future,but this is still in the early stages and if it does happen, it will hopefully be ready in September for our next years season.

Regards Greg
Old 02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I would also email Nick with the kitehouse in that regard. They have some reasonable, very nice digs but are limited to the number of guests they can handle. Beyond that he may be able to steer you to some more reasonable properties. Have a great trip!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice! I am really looking forward to this little adventure and super excited to finally wrap up my lessons so that I can hit the water solo here in the bay area!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Smile Key West Bed and Breakfast suggestion

Spent a couple of days in Key West about a month ago to use the Kite House. I highly recommend "Popular Guest House". My friend and I ended up paying about $100/night but it was well worth it. First, you are doors down from the Kite House guys....it includes an unbelievable breakfast...and you are walking distance from the main strip. Have a great time! Check out my pictures from kitesurfing down there....http://picasaweb.google.com/pramco/KitesurfKeyWest

you will love the flats where they take you...clear crystal water and shallow (below the waist). Have a blast then tell us about it!

http://picasaweb.google.com/pramco/KitesurfKeyWest
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 AM

I am thrilled with your positive feedback Pedro! I don't know how I am going to be able to stand waiting for the 28th to get here. So excited!