FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default NEW Adventure Sports Ft. Lauderdale Store

Adventure Sports with three locations in Miami has expanded to a fourth location in Ft. Lauderdale. This fully equipped water sports store
is centrally located in southeast Ft. Lauderdale just east of Federal Highway on SE 17 Street Causeway.

The 3200 square foot store was just opened and is still being stocked with new gear.

A panoramic view east. There is store manager, Luke Svanberg. Luke brings a lot of experience to the store being the former
Northeast USA rep for Cabrinha, JP-Austrlia, NPX, is a kitesurfing instructor and all around waterman.
(CLICK photo for full sized image)

The store is very centrally located in Ft. Lauderdale close to the beaches, SR 84/595, 95, Florida's Turnpike, Port Everglades and the International Airport.

ADVENTURE SPORTS FT. LAUDERDALE
741 SE 17th Street Causeway
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316
954-526-9367

Tons of great kite gear with more on the way.

Great SUP boards from Jimmy Lewis, Imagine, JP-Australia plus hot new paddles from Neil Pryde. Got to love those board hangers!

A look at the front of the store with room to grow despite a lot of inventory in place already.
(CLICK image for full sized photo)

The shop is just west of the 17th Street Bridge and a few hundred feet east of Federal.

Windsurfing gear for all occasions in one of the many great custom display/storage areas designed by Garrett Scotti of Adventure Sports Americas.

The store stocks long skateboards and accessories too.

The shop is a short distance from Ft. Lauderdale Beach
(Click photo for full sized image)

Cell phone housings, GoPro cameras and accessories and a good deal more here.

Ft. Lauderdale has long been the center for some great water sports happenings.

Action wear fashions for guys, girls and kids.

Another pano view of the store interior, what a great layout.
(CLICK image for full sized photo)

So that is just a first quick look at the new store. I would expect parties, events and great times to follow here per long tradition established
in the Miami stores. Here's to great times on the water!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-09-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Default great post

Nice photos.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thank you! Here's to an early fall and good wind all around!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 AM
thebestkite

Default End of Kitesurfing in Fort Lauderdale

With the opening of Aventure Watersports in Fort Lauderdale on 17th St Causeway, the end of kitesurfing on Fort Lauderdale is in sight.

The commercial interest of this store will drive newbies kiters to their nearest launch location. This has been a hard contested kitesurf beach.
Lifeguards and city commissioners (Parks & Recreation) have been struggling not close that location in the last 10 years for kiters.
When there was an commercial interest on that beach, the policing of the launch area and the critical "Stay Upwind" criterea, kept kooks and newbies mostly away and relegated to other areas further north and south.

Kent and other that are apparently not making enough money in Miami, and were too late in opening a store in Pompano Beach and Fort Lauderdale by the Sea, have now set their sights on Fort Lauderdale.
This beach has always been a contested launch as the channel to get away from the beach is small, the large amount of swimmers close by, and especially in the weekend, other watersporters that use that same small strip of land.
Add to that the newbie with is expensive new kite he just bought from Adventure Watersports and the clock is ticking for disaster.

As Hobie beach in Miami closed it ranks from the idiots unwilling to follow the rules, now more hard headed idiots will go to this beach.
It is not a beach for learners. It is not a beach for doing tricks close to shore.
But Adventure Watersports won't care. They wanna sell. They won't tell their customers what to do. They wanna move products.
It was a good time until now. Too bad that greed will close another good kite beach.

Rider sustainability is a great thing to talk about in our watersports and discussions of access and resposibilities are encouraged.

Reality and history have told us a different story ....
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Eric,

We are right to be concerned about access in Ft. Lauderdale and many other areas in SE Florida for that matter. When Neil and Chris were full time baby sitters on the beach there, things were better, part of the time. Not for them of course having to deal with the crap full time for YEARS but that is another story. Thanks again to them both and particularly Neil in the more stressful years in coping with it for so long.

To my knowledge things have never permanently stabilized at that small launch in terms of access, not now or even years back. We just met about access problems within the year as you may recall. It has been some of the local kiters stepping up to try to keep things sane that has made a difference. This will likely continue to be the thing that keeps access open here.

Hobie Beach is an interesting case to bring up. You may recall that Ft. Lauderdale kiters were key in finally getting that launch shut down. Of course there were years of abuses caused by both local and visiting kiters prior to that time. Kent, Todd, myself and others spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to keep that place open for years prior to that pivotal event.

I hear a lot of talk of greed and irresponsible practices. How much time have you spent at the ASM stores in Miami, at Matheson Hammock or on sea taxi runs to the Flats with them? Any time at all? They have spent a great deal of time and effort in promoting sustainable practices and access for a very long time. Greed ignores these issues.

ASM created the designated launch at Matheson to have a sustainable launch to send kiters to. They don't charge for kiter access either, where is the greed in that? They have to pay a lot of money each year to be there too plus a great deal of money they paid out to set up there. They have to try to recover it through rentals and instruction. They offer an annual membership with perks but it isn't required to kite there. I understand they will send new kiters down there from Ft. Lauderdale for proper instruction in better conditions for learning and access.

I have said for YEARS myself for newbies to go down to Biscayne Bay/Sea Taxi operations to learn. It will be faster, easier for them to learn and safer for our access up here. I have said for ten years NOT to kite at the Lauderdale launch if you can't stay upwind, it is an intermediate spot only.

We need more effective leadership in maintaining kiting throughout SE Florida, not less. Kiters on the beach are the front line but responsible kiting businesses promoting sustainable practices are a major part of the mix.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 AM
thebestkite

Default Cops and Robbers

Who did it and when or where is secondary story line.

A "Policeman" has each it designated area of operation. Robbers do not. The kiters on Fort Lauderdale Beach have the vested interested in keeping their launch spot safe and open.
I have no intention of policing other areas, but will step up anywhere in the world, when I see unsafe practices involving kiting.

This new store opening is putting more burden upon a already strenuous location.
Clear and simple.

We can only be there so many times, but when "crimes" are committed we are just fishing behind the net trying to repair damage done.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 AM
thebestkite

Default balance.

As for the price to pay, rest assured that no company can stay in business unless all expenses are balanced to a sustainable profit margin. As for ASM their prices certainly are balanced to their expenditures to create access, where ever that may be.

Let's hope that they can see the balance on their books for rider competency so close to their new store opening.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

All I have to say it is a good thing that ASM's business plan doesn't have to be worked out on this site. It would be beyond me for one to try. Considering the parent watersports corporation has grossed $100 Million worldwide in recent years they must be doing a good deal right despite the awful recessional dips happening all over. They work to keep access open through all this as well.

There are some excellent core kiters in the greater Ft. Lauderdale area with an eye and mind on keeping things open and flying. I have had the pleasure of working closely with many of them for many years. This has been the case since the start of the sport although their numbers and enthusiasm have naturally varied through that time. Taking care of business at the launch is no picnic and as a steady diet will burn folks out. Most still hit it pretty hard as conditions dictate.

I have seen the leadership ASM has brought to Miami over many years, and all the times they have come up here to fight for access in the Ft. Lauderdale area too. I can think of at least seven meetings perhaps more including City proceedings intended to fight for access, that they have attended for Ft. Lauderdale, LBTS and Pompano over the last five or so years. That's traveling 60 miles to fight for access with local kiting leaders in an area they may never ride in regularly if at all. They have always tried to meet and work through the local kite community, not beyond it. I suspect that won't change either. Our numbers and influence are too small to ignore what help we can get in keeping things going when needed.

Eric, I believe if you got in touch with Luke the store manager, he would welcome sitting down with you to discuss your concerns. I would be pleased to attend as well if you would like me to.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 AM
thebestkite

All that needs to be said has been discussed here.
I hope ASM and it's staff has the time to read these concerns.

There is a group of happy kiters on that beach, we "police" when necessary.
WHEN we are there. A No wind day with a newbie can create havoc with disastrous consequences.

HINDSIGHT has always been the last card dealt.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Hi Eric,

I drafted a response to your concerns yesterday, however I ran of of time to post. I think that Rick actually provided quite a bit of information, but as this was already written, I thought that I might as well post it.

If you have real concerns and / or suggestions that you would like to discuss, I'd encourage you to set up a meeting with Luke at the shop. He is an avid waterman and a certified instructor that has taught at a variety of locations, some of which have similar access issues. If you let me know a few days in advance, I'd be happy to join the conversation.

Rick has provided quite a bit of information regarding his recommendations with respect to local riding, however as you are living on the beach, I'm sure you have some additional insight that we could all benefit by. Although I live in Miami and don't ride in your area, I’m pretty familiar with the riding situation from Ft. Lauderdale to Boca. I’ve personally attended several of the municipal hearings pertaining to access issues around Pompano. I’ve also participated in a few group meetings regarding riding guidelines along Ft. Lauderdale beaches, the last of which was hosted by Jessie of Liquid. I’m sure that I must have seen you at a few of these meetings, as enforcement agencies are encouraged to know that we seriously care about being involved in recommendations regarding locally accepted riding guidelines and access issues.

It may be important for you to know that teaching will be done at our Matheson location. Without a doubt, we have invested more than others in the S. Florida area to insure that our instructors are well-trained, top rate, and provide consistent service. Unlike many other instructional groups, we are accredited, insured, legally allowed to teach at our venue, and work consistently to maintain great riding areas. We are not another “fly by night” kite school that holds little, to no regard for local riders or riding areas. We have skin in the game and our financial benefit lays in preserving long term access, while creating responsible and independent riders. We do not push herds of people though the programs to bill more hours.

In the meantime, if you are truly unaware of our organization and our long-term commitment to riding issues that may affect you, I’d encourage you to do a bit more research so that you can arrive at a more informed conclusion regarding our potential impact on the area.

Please let me know if you arrange something with Luke. I’ll do my best to attend. If not, feel free to pick up the phone and give me a buzz with any unanswered questions and / or suggestions that you might have. Thanks.

Kent