https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Just Let Go ... While You Can.

Just heard about a serious accident on the West Coast:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
Sadly it was a kiteboarder who suffered major injuries from a lofting incident. I was one of a few people to unfortunatly see the incident take place from the very beginning. I ended up being the one that had to cover the exact details of the incident with the paramedics. Unfortunately it happened so fast that there was nothing anyone could of done. Maybe the first sign that there was trouble myself or someone could of yelled "let go of the bar", but by the time I could of got a word out he was already in the air.

Details: It looked like he accidently pulled his CL release, but continued to hold tightly onto the control bar instead of letting it go. However due to the way he was lofted and the evidence of the CL being released, but apparently stuck on the CL hook, it looks that he may still have been somewhat attached to the kite... which makes sense why the kite wasn't simply ripped from his hands. It looked like when the CL poped loose the effect of the bar partially sliding up caused him to panic and his reaction was to grab the bar and thus sheeting in causing the kite to power up. The trim was also not depowered, so he was riding fully powered. Add the fact that he had the kite parked at 12, the wind was nuking 30-35+ and he was on a 12m also didn't help with the situation. The fact that the CL didn't fully disengage was strange, but I think it was actually compromised by a webbing strap from his reel-leash. Another good reason to not use those reel-leashes!

To sum it up and to avoid this mistake... on land NEVER hold onto the control bar while NOT attached to the CL with any BOW/SLE type kites. In this situation let go of the bar and let the kite naturely depower or let it flag out on the safety leash. If not attached to the kite then let go of it completely... it's not worth a helicopter trip to the ER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
I was going out on a 9m just before this guy came in. I was totally SUPER lit. The wind came up steadily, @ 4pm it was 20, @ 6pm it was 30, gusting to 34+. I didn't see it happen and wasn't there afterward, but I have a couple small suggestions that have worked for me when shit goes haywire.

snip

Quote:
Update: The injured kiter is in an induced coma to help reduce brain swelling from a severe concussion. He may also have some damage to his left eye... there was no response during tests. They were able to set his leg, but I don't know how many rods and pins he ended up with. I'll post more info as it comes, but the good thing is he is alive and will eventually heal. The sad thing is may be disabled for the rest of his life due to his head injury. I really hoping for the best on his recovery. I went kiting for the first time since the accident yesterday, but I was still in shock and honestly a little scared to go out. I've learned a lot from seeing this accident first hand and I have more respect for the power of these kites than ever before. Kiteboarding has changed my life, but everytime I go out I always have to wonder if kiting will eventually take my life. Until then I'm going to enjoy every aspect of the awesome sport!!! Kite Safe! :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
Yoda, thanks for the update. Can you please make sure that he knows, or better right now his relatives know that we all wish the best for him.

One question I have with he brain injury, did he wear a helmet?

Georg
He was wearing a helmet which probably kept him alive. I'll try to let the family know that we all are hoping for the best on his recovery.
http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/v...er=asc&start=0

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Rigging too big a kite, using a board leash, going out in powered conditions without an optimal setup, not rehearsing what to do if ..., there were a number of errors. The guy did wear a helmet which may in part be responsible for him avoid even more severe injury.

Hope the rider heals fully and fast. Think this stuff over before hand, you'll be glad you did.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Anyone recall trying to hang on "too long?" In winds as strong as this usually hanging on doesn't last that long before it is yanked out of your hands. And yet, it happened here regardless. Usually we try to manage the immediate problem by hanging on, trying to rehook or fix what is going wrong. Still, if you have a clear buffer there isn't much wrong with just totally dropping the bar to the kite leash as a rule. If you accidentally pull to hard on one end of the bar or a dozen or so other things happen, they you are. Reprogramming in our minds how we should deal with this sort of thing may be in order.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi